Hole In The Road Thread with Pics

Yeah, something like that.....just another example of councils doing what they think is best for all concerned....with or without the publics' approval, be a better idea to fill them in an run a few trams over them if you ask me......arrogant prks.

can anyone remember the astronauts that were on the holes edge topside hanging there for many years, and what about the big black spider that students put up for rag day. the big massive xmas tree that used to be put up...so many things to remember the hitr for..

Any other city would have embraced this idea, given the place a well-need refurb, better lighting, colourful flowers, (a bit of investment if you will) and made the place welcoming again like it was when I was a 5 year old.

Not in Sheffield though. The council was defeated and instead of making repairs, threw the towel in in a statement that cried 'You defaced it, well, let's fill it in'.

Sheffield aren't the only place to have done this. Same thing happening in Birmingham with the old (1960s) Bullring before the massive redevelopment. Part of the development was a hole-in-the-road affair--the markets I think--and it too was swept away (or under the carpet, as it were).

Now Ive already posted in this thread but Ive remembered something else about the hole-in-the-road...

Does anyone know any details about something regarding a haunted telephone/telephone box that was connected to the hole-in-the road? Ive read about this somewhere but I cant remember if it was online or in a local history book! The location of the telephone box is roughly where the one currently outside Bon Marche/Bankers Draft is.

A good idea would have been to name the Castle Square tram stop 'Hole-in-the-Road' as a tribute to the famous (now filled in) landmark.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but I've realised that I don't really miss the HITR at all, any more than I miss those ugly cooling towers at Tinsley.

It was only around for 27 years and for most of its life was pretty badly neglected.

It would have been nice to have seen it spruced up and modernised but on balance, filling it in was the best approach.

the escalator 1 pic looks like theres a face in the middle hand rail section .can you see it??? spooooooooky!!:o

As for the face on the escalator, the top part of the face is one of the bars across the escalator casing with a screwed up chip wrapper to the right of it whilst the bottom part of the face is a fly poster stuck to the end curvature of the casing.

The myth of the ghostly face is gone....and I have to much time on my hands

Interesting. I would say that 1993-95 (approximately anyway) was Sheffield city centre's very lowest ebb, probably since the war. It felt as though it was dying a little more each day - I think it was even worse than during the ravages of the eighties in terms of number of empty units and general condition of the buildings. The vibes coming off those photos seem to confirm my feelings from the time.

Damon - just to say great site and some great reading. thanks a lot.

I remember a man appearing in there in the mid 80s. He was painted grey from head to foot and wore a backpack with a small sapling planted in it. A crowd gathered round him and an old woman said "I don't think he's very well". She approached him saying "Are you alright love? Do you need help?". He didn't appear to hear her and simply craned his neck toward the sun and squinted. Someone asked a policeman who was standing nearby what was going on. He said "Apparently he's a living sculpture. He's very good isn't he?".

It's a strange memory but I'm sure I didn't dream it.

Hi Trever

Would you allow me to use one of your pictures of the Hole in the Road being filled in

(Pic 4) I will ensure full photo credits are listed in the book - and will ask the publishers to send you a copy.

Regards

Steve (Warumpi)

Hi Trever

Would you allow me to use one of your pictures of the Hole in the Road being filled in

(Pic 4) I will ensure full photo credits are listed in the book - and will ask the publishers to send you a copy.

Regards

Steve (Warumpi)

Of course you can. The credit must go to my dad (Ernist Cound) who took the photos. What will the book be called?