Pub crawl in the early 80's

i didnt know him personally alex but knew of him through my uncle who knew him .im sure he said they used to play cards at micks house through the night .

Who's your Uncle?.

I probably know him.

You had to go outside and stagger up Snig hill for about 25 yards so its almost the same as walking a mile! Especially after one of their pints.

It was like drinking battery acid!

I seem to remember it was the 80's version of real ale before lager really took off prob as weak as pisswatter but seemed to get jabbers pisssed

me an all before that sez owt

I seem to remember it was the 80's version of real ale before lager really took off prob as weak as pisswatter but seemed to get jabbers pisssed

me an all before that sez owt

We used to get utterly legless didnt we? On a Thursday night too.

I remember turning up for work the next morning with a raging hangover and having to work on pneumatic drills all day.

What pubs did you go in on your first ever night out "round town" and what happened to them, mine would have been about 1983/4:

The Ale Taster - this had changed its name from The Claymore and was on Arundel Gate next to what is now the O2 Academy, it was a wine bar/fun pub type place, its been various shops and takeaways since and has recently been demolished

The Mulberry Tavern - Still there as far as I know but in what form I'm not sure.

The Garden (I think) - Very little recollection of this one, I seem to remember it was down near old Castle Market area but memory not what it was.

Dove & Rainbow - Backed onto Hartshead Sq I think this is still there.

Legends - Basement venue, previously Crazy Daisy, remember it was a doorway somewhere near Telegraph House not sure exactly where.

The Stonehouse - Great pub, when it still had the backroom that gave you the impression that you were outside, long gone and turned into business premises.

The Wig & Pen - The Campo Lane pub is now a branch of Craft & Dough.

The Golden Ball - This was near the Wig & Pen not sure which building it was but long gone.

And lastly:

The Fountain Bar - another basement venue (I think) what is now the site of the Bessemer if my memory serves.

What was your route?

My friends and I - a small group of teenage girls aged between 16-18 - would go to town on a pub crawl most Saturday nights. It was easier to get served underage in town - they were less vigilant than local pubs and the landlords didn't know our parents!

We always followed the same route and had just one drink in every pub. I'm talking mid-late 1970's here, so many of these pubs will be gone, or re-jigged and renamed by now. We'd get off the 18 bus in Campo Lane and start in the Blue Bell opposite the bus stop, then it was Dove and Rainbow, Stonehouse, Three Tuns,  Pig & Whistle, Cambridge, Barleycorn, Yorkshireman, Brown Bear, finishing up in the Mulberry - because we could get the last 13 or 14 bus home from directly outside. Sounds like a lot of pubs for one night, but lasses mostly drank halves those days, not pints like now. We'd have a half of bitter if the pub sold decent beer and half of lager and lime if the beer was rubbish.

The beer was mostly rubbish in town centre pubs, but I remember that the Yorkshireman and the Brown Bear had good ale.

35 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

My friends and I - a small group of teenage girls aged between 16-18 - would go to town on a pub crawl most Saturday nights. It was easier to get served underage in town - they were less vigilant than local pubs and the landlords didn't know our parents!

We always followed the same route and had just one drink in every pub. I'm talking mid-late 1970's here, so many of these pubs will be gone, or re-jigged and renamed by now. We'd get off the 18 bus in Campo Lane and start in the Blue Bell opposite the bus stop, then it was Dove and Rainbow, Stonehouse, Three Tuns,  Pig & Whistle, Cambridge, Barleycorn, Yorkshireman, Brown Bear, finishing up in the Mulberry - because we could get the last 13 or 14 bus home from directly outside. Sounds like a lot of pubs for one night, but lasses mostly drank halves those days, not pints like now. We'd have a half of bitter if the pub sold decent beer and half of lager and lime if the beer was rubbish.

The beer was mostly rubbish in town centre pubs, but I remember that the Yorkshireman and the Brown Bear had good ale.

The pub on Campo Lane near the bus stops was the Golden Ball at the Vicar Lane corner, it is now called 'Couch' (whatever they do).

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 20:31, Blueeyes46 said:

Brewery tap? Where was that?

Yes, where was the Brewery Tap ? and also the Pig and Whistle, wasn't that an early 90s pub (or later) on Leopold Street ?

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2010 at 06:37, melthebell said:

on the high street on the right, crazy daisy ish?

Yes the Crazy Daizy became the Geisha bar and the only thing Japanese about the place was it's name, a better decorated and smarter place than CD but less fun.

Think the Brewey tap was the black swan or there abouts.

Various combinations of pubs in Walkley - Cottage, Sportsman, Crown, Florist, Palm, Rose, Top Freedom, Royal,Bottom Freedom, Firwood, Belle Vue, Bath, Blake, Heavygate.

15 hours ago, Longcol said:

Various combinations of pubs in Walkley - Cottage, Sportsman, Crown, Florist, Palm, Rose, Top Freedom, Royal,Bottom Freedom, Firwood, Belle Vue, Bath, Blake, Heavygate.

That's a pub crawl and a half !