Tattoo design / work - anyone out there?

Hi, hope this is in the right forum (please feel free to move if not)...

I'm looking to get a tattoo sleeve done. I already have a couple of tattoo's (that I had done in long-standing tat shops) but I really don't want to have this work done in a shop and pay their over inflated 'shop' prices.

I'm looking for either A) a competent professional who does home-visits and who's rates are reasonable, or B) alternatively, an apprentice / (skilled) trainee tattooist who's willing to do the work for practice - the designs I have in mind are pretty basic (not too detailed) so it'd be good for someone looking to further hone their skills.

Before the purists jump on this, yes... I know... "you get what you pay for", but I'm just interested to see if there's any tattooists out there with the skill but not the shop overheads.

Hi there,

If someone offers to tattoo you at your home then unfortunately they are breaking the law, so I would be wary if someone offers this

I watched a documentaly on Māori tatoos the other week whilst drunk, i'll give it a go...

Hi there,

If someone offers to tattoo you at your home then unfortunately they are breaking the law, so I would be wary if someone offers this

Which law is this nerd.

I can't seem to find it.

Which law is this nerd.

I can't seem to find it.

It is to do with the local bylaws I believe, but all places where piercing of the skin occurs (tattoos, piercings, micropigmentation etc) have to be registered and licensed with your local council and have an environmental health inspection. To offer skin piercing proecdures without being licensed and registered is working otuside the law.

Take a look at the council website, or give environmental health a call in the morning

I'm pretty sure the tatooist will be breaking the law by doing it outside of registered premises but not you by getting it done. Plenty of people do it though and I've never heard of criminal convictions so am not sure how closely this law is obeyed.

I'm pretty sure the tatooist will be breaking the law by doing it outside of registered premises but not you by getting it done. Plenty of people do it though and I've never heard of criminal convictions so am not sure how closely this law is obeyed.

sorry, that was what I meant, the tattooist would be the one breaking the law, sorry if that was not clear.

Obviously it is unlikely to be reported, as both parties are likely to be in agreement - one wants a tat, the other can provide it. That said I suppose it would be putting the tattooist in the weaker position in the sense that I guess it could be construed as assault or some such if they claimed to have not consented, and the tattooee in a weaker position if they have not signed a consent form and the tattooer is not insured.

So, unlikely to result in any kind of conviction but I would still be wary.

I'm glad I don't live in your jurisdiction. I 'pierce my skin' (with a needle) 4 or 5 times a day to extract blood so that I can measure the amount of sugar in it.

I pierce it another 5 or 6 times a day with a needle in order to inject insulin into my body.

I suppose I could get a licence for my home, but what happens if I want to go out of the house and might wish to eat elsewhere? - Am I obliged to ensure that every place I might wish to eat has a licence which would permit me to 'pierce my skin' in accordance with a set of by-laws?

What do you do with diabetics where you live? Do you send them elsewhere?

Nerd posts in the context of tattooing, as I'm sure you know.

It is to do with the local bylaws I believe, but all places where piercing of the skin occurs (tattoos, piercings, micropigmentation etc) have to be registered and licensed with your local council and have an environmental health inspection. To offer skin piercing proecdures without being licensed and registered is working otuside the law.

Take a look at the council website, or give environmental health a call in the morning

As far as I'm aware there is no license in the UK for tattooists.

I have managed to find the bylaw it is here (http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/environment/environmental-health/health-safety/advice-for-businesses/skin-piercing) for those that would like to have a read.

I will have to pull you on your first post though, it is not against the law for a registered tattooist to do a tattoo in your home as long as he conforms to sections 3(1)(a) and (4(1)(a) of the bylaws, which basically covers hygiene requirements.

All interesting stuff. But I'm not sure why we're labouring on the laws issue here. I'm just looking for a tattooist to do me a sleeve... not looking to prosecute the guy...

Nerd, please PM me details of the chap you know... I'm interested...

Style-wise - looking for a tribal / adstract piece - not a pictoral image or anything.

Edited by lofihardwire

I'm glad I don't live in your jurisdiction. I 'pierce my skin' (with a needle) 4 or 5 times a day to extract blood so that I can measure the amount of sugar in it.

I pierce it another 5 or 6 times a day with a needle in order to inject insulin into my body.

I suppose I could get a licence for my home, but what happens if I want to go out of the house and might wish to eat elsewhere? - Am I obliged to ensure that every place I might wish to eat has a licence which would permit me to 'pierce my skin' in accordance with a set of by-laws?

What do you do with diabetics where you live? Do you send them elsewhere?

Brilliant! :D