How old is old enough for kittens to be rehomed?

Helloo, as you all probably know we have four kittens that were born on 14th September 2010. They are almost 8 weeks old now and whilst some websites say 8 weeks is old enough to be given away I know a lot others say between around 10 and 12 weeks old. Especially as they are only just off their mothers milk.

So, can anyone who has experience with this advise what is the correct age? It just seems they are still too dependent on mum right now (although they pretend not to be;) )

Thanks!

10 weeks is a good age, but obviously the longer you can keep them, the better.

Helloo, as you all probably know we have four kittens that were born on 14th September 2010. They are almost 8 weeks old now and whilst some websites say 8 weeks is old enough to be given away I know a lot others say between around 10 and 12 weeks old. Especially as they are only just off their mothers milk.

So, can anyone who has experience with this advise what is the correct age? It just seems they are still too dependent on mum right now (although they pretend not to be;) )

Thanks!

I would say 10 weeks too, although mine was 12 weeks when we got her and she's been brilliant as her mum had already trained her in everything like using the litter tray etc. Can we have up to date pics Tess of the little kitties? :D

Yep - the kits I had went at around 14weeks I think! But mum teaches them more as they get older :)

If you can afford to keep them until 12 weeks or older then that's the time that the Shelter and many breeders rehome because that's when they're just a little bit older and stronger and able to withstand the stresses of going to a new home without their brothers and sisters.

All kittens get a spot of diarrhoea when they enter stressful situations like being rehomed and everything that you can do to minimise the effects of that on their bodies and minds is called for.

Really steady, strong and healthy babies can go earlier if they're going to a home where there is already a friendly cat to look after them, but I still would only bring that forward to 10 weeks, not any earlier.

Mine are rehomed a week after their 2nd jabs at 13 weeks, but if I were to let them go any earlier it would be no younger than 10 weeks :)

Right, so would you all agree that if they were born on 14th Sept they would be ok to go first week of December?

Yep sounds good to me but please can we have some more pics before they go:D

Right, so would you all agree that if they were born on 14th Sept they would be ok to go first week of December?

I'd say not much earlier than the first full week in Dec (approx 5th?- looking at the calendar)

I'm surprised by some of the answers on here. I actually assumed it was common knowledge that 6 weeks old was the time for the kittens to be rehomed. For as long as I can remember this has always been the case with any cat or dog I've had, along with family and friends. Don't forget that by this time the kittens have got extremely sharp teeth and sharp claws and can only serve to do damage to the mother when they're still trying to feed from her, even though they can feed themselves.

No, it's only common knowledge amongst those not in the know, UKS.

At six weeks the kittens or pups haven't learnt many of the social skills needed to be taken from the mother, and haven't developed their digestive tracts completely.

Pups and kittens do far better being rehomed at 10/12 weeks as it's not such a shock to their little systems.

By popular demand I will try and upload some photos on here before they go!

I think they should be ok by December, they still occasionally try to feed off mum but she just pushes them off now, and they eat kitten biscuits and drink ok as well. They like to pretend they're independent but as soon as anything makes them jump its straight back to mum!