Few problems with my house

Hi

We've been living at this property for past 6 months. Now the winter has started, we are coming across few problems.

1. We have extended kitchen area which has windows all around it. They are single glaze. When cooking etc the windows steam up really bad to point that water is dripping down the wall.

The kitchen doesn't have any ventilation beside one window. I was thinking of putting a extractor fan, is this a good idea? also we have same problem in the bathroom when taking shower etc.

2. We got damp in one corner of the bedroom. Previous owner mentioned there was an gutter leak. he got that fixed. the wall feels moist, is it worth doing DIY damp proofing? or shall is get this looked at by a professional?

3. The living room feels cold from bottom. Your legs feels cold. We have a digital room thermometer, the reading doesn't get above 17.5 c also the Humidity level is 70%. We use central heating & electrical heater. Cavity wall insulation is already done and 2 months ago we had loft insulation topped up.

Windows are double glazing, 50% are PVC and 50% wooden frame.

any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there

Happy to provide you with a free quotation to install 2 extrator fans or

if you need any electrical advice then call Dean at DK Electrical on the numbers below.

Regards Dean.

I recommend jtb roof & build i have rented propertys and they do all my maintenance give them a call 07791326848

Hi All...

There is a retaining wall in my back yard because my yard is a few inches higher than the house level. This is my first winter in this house. In a corner of my yard is a low spot. Due to the retaining wall the water cannot drain. I tried drilling holes through the brick so the water can drain out. It did not work. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm not a builder, but I've had to sort out lots of cold/damp problems in my own house, so:

1. Extractor fans in kitchen and bathroom are a very very good idea. Otherwise you will have trouble with mildew and damp damage. If you can't afford double glazing, look into secondary glazing options to cut heating bills and condensation on the window.

2. This will never dry out properly until the affected plaster is replaced. This is because once plaster has been damp it becomes hydrophilic and soaks up any moisture from the atmosphere. So long as the gutter is ok now (worth double checking!), and regularly cleared, there should be no need for damp proofing upstairs. If you're concerned about possible future gutter problems, a slightly more expensive plaster can be used that is more water resistant.

3. This is a very common problem in old terraced houses (like mine) where the living room is above the cellar. I assume your house is similar. The cold damp air comes up from the cellar into the living room. You will need to fit either solid insulation foam, or (cheaper but not quite as good) space blanket insulation between joists in the cellar ceiling. Make sure the reflective side points upwards to the living room to reflect heat back into the room. This by itself may be enough to reduce cold draughts, but if not you will need to pull up any carpet in the living room and seal up gaps around skirting and between floorboards with mastic. Also make sure that fresh air can circulate around the cellar, for example via the coal chute, as this will reduce damp accumulation in the cellar. If the house doesn't have a damp course, this can also make downstairs rooms feel colder, because damp can soak up the walls from the ground.

These old houses take a lot of work to eliminate damp and chilliness, but it's well worth it in the long term for comfort and reduced heating bills, so long as you can afford the work in the first place. Good luck!

Hi FrankLittle, that sounds like good advice, will check that out for my house.

3. This is a very common problem in old terraced houses (like mine) where the living room is above the cellar. I assume your house is similar. The cold damp air comes up from the cellar into the living room. You will need to fit either solid insulation foam, or (cheaper but not quite as good) space blanket insulation between joists in the cellar ceiling. Make sure the reflective side points upwards to the living room to reflect heat back into the room. This by itself may be enough to reduce cold draughts, but if not you will need to pull up any carpet in the living room and seal up gaps around skirting and between floorboards with mastic. Also make sure that fresh air can circulate around the cellar, for example via the coal chute, as this will reduce damp accumulation in the cellar. If the house doesn't have a damp course, this can also make downstairs rooms feel colder, because damp can soak up the walls from the ground.

I have used space blanket between my joists. However, there is still a gap between the bottom of the joists and the space blanket. Do you think it is worth putting another layer of space blanket in to get rid of this gap? I have treated the joists and the underside of the floor with Ronseal sealant to try and prevent them rotting..

In my opinion so long as some fresh air can still get to the joists, the more the better for keeping the living room warm.

I have used space blanket between my joists. However, there is still a gap between the bottom of the joists and the space blanket. Do you think it is worth putting another layer of space blanket in to get rid of this gap? I have treated the joists and the underside of the floor with Ronseal sealant to try and prevent them rotting..