Setting up a Micro Brewery - help and advice needed

Count me firmly in, I bloody love a good pint, especially when you know you're supporting people with a dream.

I wish I was as brave as you!

xx

I know of a successful micro bry out of town, Ale is superb. The main problem he encountered as he became successful was losing the actual casks that he delivered to pubs. If you charge a deposit most Landlords will not order so try and operate a 1 for 1.

i loved the canal and i love good ale count me in

You can count on me. If you need any help let me know. I have a little nano brewery of my own (Ickle Brew), it can produce about 10 gallons a day at the moment via a 2 stage gravity fed set up.

I will be moving to a full HERMS set up as soon as time allows, where do you get your supplies from? is it the malt miller? Send a PM if you want to chat

Sounds like a great plan - I'm sure you will have plenty of volunteers for some brew sampling :-) Count me in too.

Thanks everyone for posting.Will this thread just go on forever so I can let you know our progress?~I have not been on a forum before. Akrasia, hops don`t need much space,we grew 8 three feet apart,but they need a high structure to wind their 18ft garlands around. We dug in 16ft posts with wire in between.

Akrasia, hops don`t need much space,we grew 8 three feet apart,but they need a high structure to wind their 18ft garlands around. We dug in 16ft posts with wire in between.

Not sure what my allotment association would think of that, but it's good to know that you don't need much (horizontal) space.

So, so great looking at and into all your replies ! Aren`t the photo`s of the Laycock silversmiths building heartbreaking ? Isn`t the idea of a restored building with a cool bar on a quay selling our beer and other real beers and ciders and perrys so cool. A centre for artisan food, narrowboats, art, crafts ..free food, free showers free..... oh Utopia alas, unless there was a benevolent rich person around with a bit of vision. meanwhile, we are on a tight budget, but if we grow... Talking of growing, and talking myself down from The Big dream, ..despite my earlier frightening reply about growing hops, put in a small couple of posts with wire, buy a plant or two on the net, and keep the long garlands growing this way and that and have fun.You never know, we could have brews from your own hops.

We are up for a week at end of November to suss out locations and will bear your suggestions in mind. Look, the beer and business bods in my family have spent two years researching.I am just the one who watched in horror as massive containers of hot liquid were precariously lifted out of side hatch doors of our boat (elf n safety be damned during these research years) And I ignorantly looked on in horror for a micro second as a pump sucked up canal water thru the cooling copper coils.So I can keep you informed thru an insider/outsider kind of way. Also, am I allowed to keep you all as contacts or is that limited to 35 ? I glance at things as I reply to messages, and I need a childs a b c about this site. I have never found my way back to you all in a straightforward way yet.

You can count on me. If you need any help let me know. I have a little nano brewery of my own (Ickle Brew), it can produce about 10 gallons a day at the moment via a 2 stage gravity fed set up.

I will be moving to a full HERMS set up as soon as time allows, where do you get your supplies from? is it the malt miller? Send a PM if you want to chat

Hi Ickle Brew owner! Great to hear from you. I am not the brewing side of the team,see my latest general input on thread. And your set up sounds really great. In the midlands down here,which we are leaving, we have found tremendous solidarity between micro breweries...and thats even before we`ve started! So good on yer, keep up the cause..small startups are brave, but the tide has turned it seems....people are turning their backs on the great conglomerates. Best wishes. Hope to meet you oneday, you are just like us. PS, we are still undecided as to who we use as suppliers at the mo, launch is late summer,so alot can happen,

Sounds really exciting, count me in! I'd love a bar attached to the micro-brewery as you can go to in London or the continent.