The 2010/2011 snow Megathread

Ive been out in Derbyshire both days this weekend and its been gritted once you cross the county border yet there is no grit on Sheffields roads - it just stops dead

And on the way to work today in Sheffield it was well cold with ice around but no grit

Has anyone noticed this?

Is there a reason for it?

The weather reports the council have been getting in SHeffield don't justify gritting, but the ones Derbyshire are getting do?

I think we have more chance of Red Rum making a return to the world of Horse Racing.

You never know :D:hihi:

Don't want to make any promises but early indications from the Met Office show an unsettled second half of november starting originally with Hill snow before moving in to lower ground from the North East......soooo if thats anything to go by we might get a bit of snow, however depends if it gets past York and down here......

When it does snow this thread needs to be renamed to 'The I have more snow than you megathread' as when it does come it just seems to be full of people who cant measure.

I came off my bike yesterday because of ice .... the back end just slid away from me ..... but that was in Barnsley on a road that is particularly icy every year. BUT not this early ...... My route out of Sheffield seemed to be quite well gritted yesterday .... but I thought it wise to change my route slightly today.

Just like last year, there has been early snow in the Alps and the Baltic. Couple that with the number of Waxwings arriving and it looks like a harsh one is on its way.

Was snow on top of some peak hills visible on monday 8th november. saw it on tain from manchester to sheffield.

maybe we should have a photo with a ruler sticking out of the snow to measure it ;)

maybe we should have a photo with a ruler sticking out of the snow to measure it ;)

like this?

PICT1568.jpg

showing nearly 10 inches earlier this year!

On the Bowes Moor road, they have eight-feet-tall coloured poles for that very purpose.