The 2010/2011 snow Megathread

Mod note:

Threads merged.

Don't envy you Totoro.

Edit. Probably a good time to call out the catbus!

Don't envy you Totoro.

Edit. Probably a good time to call out the catbus!

:D

Have snowsocks and heated seats, will take on whatever's falling our way ;)

The problem with warm water is that it very soon becomes cold water and it's likely to freeze.

WD40 might be worth a try.

If the key is metal, try heating it with a lighter/match and inserting it into the lock. It doesn't take much water to freeze up a lock and a heated key will probably come into direct contact with the ice.

Tried all that - nothing was working. My dad poured hot, salty water around the door this morning and the door popped open - after closer examination it turns out it wasn't the rubber seal after all, but the door mechanism itself! Anyway, door mechanism liberally sprayed with WD40 and the rubber seals coated with Waxoyl.

Then again, I had to climb out the passenger door at the petrol station as my driver's door wouldn't sodding open! Dead embarrassing and a logistical nightmare for a disabled person, but I managed it safely! :hihi:

OH drove up to Leeds via Birmingham from Bournemouth for a funeral, setting off this morning, about 3.00am. He had a good run both weatherwise and trafficwise and was there on time at both places....He's planning on returning tomorrow, so I'm just hoping, that that is as good a journey, but this time without needing the Brum bit.

Howdy All. Apologies being from Chessa n all, but Shef is the closest thing I have to pulse :D

Mind if I ask what are peoples thoughts for the weather our parts this weekend? During the last down fall this thread was the dogs for info.

Consensus at work this pm was that nothing was coming after all. BBC Weather has been changing it's mind every time I look. Whilst I'm writing this it's changing from Foggy/Clear to Light Snow for Chessa. Sheffield now showing Heavy Snow Sunday. ITV Weather at 6 showed map with snow none near our region by 100 miles - then the guy finishes saying everywhere might get some :confused: I realise the complexities of the weather system are hard to predict, but it's 2010 for gawds sake and we're only looking 24 hours ahead now.

So from what you're all hearing/reading/watching tonight what do we reckon?

looking at the rainfall radar on metoffice, last 2 hours or so its been gradually making its way inland from the west...could possibly carry on this way and hit us, id recommend anyone wanting to keep updated on snow fall for travel etc to keep an eye on it, it updates every half an hour so, just thought id let people know who need to that it may be wise keeping an eye on it this evening, heres the link:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

combination of meteox website and manchester road cameras show snow heading over Manchester towards Sheffield approx midnight

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looking at the above i'd say were in for some from Midnight onwards.

If that lot gets over the Pennines we're in for it, but very often it just fizzles out for some reason.

acording to look north we wont be having much tonight and it wont be snowing for rest of the weekend but then again they said on thusday that we would have rain. funny it looked white to me :hihi: