The 2010/2011 snow Megathread

oooh maybe the bin men can instead go around and clear the roads! ;)

Are the bin men not the ones who drive the gritters/ snow ploughs?

anyone know if beighton near the george and dragon has been cleared....want to get the bus back....looked like a bobsliegh run yesterday...

Are the bin men not the ones who drive the gritters/ snow ploughs?

No the bin men aren't employed by the council but by Veolia.

Met Office website and BBC website says heavy snow at 9pm but after that not much except light snow showers monday but that could all change I reckon the worst is over and now it's all about the ice!

Does anyone know how the roads are getting from Batemoor to Heeley Green- I would normally go Blackstock rd but guessing since buses aren't going there (I think?) it's bad? If not what about Leighton Rd? Failing that woodseats?

Gleadless Rd itself near bottom end/Heeley Green???

Any clue?

Nope. Veolia employ the bin men. Good point.

In the town where I come from, all the council pull together to clear the roads. I knew a fella who was a mechanic for them, and each winter he drove a gritter. Bin men would get out there with their shovels and buckets of grit

Nope. Veolia employ the bin men. Good point.

In the town where I come from, all the council pull together to clear the roads. I knew a fella who was a mechanic for them, and each winter he drove a gritter. Bin men would get out there with their shovels and buckets of grit

Yeah - I don't know how it works in Sheffield. I imagine because they work for Veolia and not the council they aren't insured to clear the streets etc...

Met Office website and BBC website says heavy snow at 9pm but after that not much except light snow showers monday but that could all change I reckon the worst is over and now it's all about the ice!

Does anyone know how the roads are getting from Batemoor to Heeley Green- I would normally go Blackstock rd but guessing since buses aren't going there (I think?) it's bad? If not what about Leighton Rd? Failing that woodseats?

Gleadless Rd itself near bottom end/Heeley Green???

Any clue?

Blackstock road had a lot of slush but you could see the road surface underneath. The Co-op lorry and security van made it down to heeley Green as well as a lot of 4x4's :) Do not go onto any of the side roads though I had to push a few cars yesterday, everyone in a normal car got stuck that tried it :)

Edited by Evei

Some bin men in town centre clearing snow and gritting today

Yeah - I don't know how it works in Sheffield. I imagine because they work for Veolia and not the council they aren't insured to clear the streets etc...

Cat among the pigeons time...maybe the teachers whose schools are closed should do it *gets coat and runs for the hills*

Joke - before you all jump on me.

Cat among the pigeons time...maybe the teachers whose schools are closed should do it *gets coat and runs for the hills*

Joke - before you all jump on me.

Why single teachers out? Loads of people haven't been able to make it into work.:huh: