Any old Teddy Boys Out there?

Just wondering how many Teds are out there ..my brother was one ..and was a regular at the Lacarno ..boot lace tie , beetle crushers , finger tip length jacket Da , etc ..sorry if someone has already done this thread!
i became a ted in 1975 and still am i used to go to the broughton inn at attercliffe at 16 in 1979, we used to hang out at the alexandra pub on saturdays then go to the ted shop at hyde park flats.i still have a black drape suit .

Abbeydale Ballroom 1956. Most of us had a black & white dogtooth jacket with black narrow trousers plus a black overcoat in the winter. A variant of shoes. Mine were blue thick crepe soles and yellow or white socks and a slim jim tie.. Went to Butlins at Clacton and saw the real teddy boys. The London lads all had knee length jackets, five or six buttons and velvet collars. The bright red blue, pink etc jackets came some years after the real Teddy Boy era had finished, round about 1957. We later upgraded to the City Hall or Locarno. All this and R&R dancing was barred except for the Latin American dance. It was a strict regime of Waltz, Foxtrot or Quickstep. In 1959 the Locarno started a Thursday R&R night. For a while I was the DJ there but the DJ term was yet to come. A strict jacket and tie rule was applied. If the tie was loosened, a tap on the shoulder to remind you of the rules. If you forgot a tie you could rent one at the desk. If not, no entry. Happy Days

---------- Post added 11-10-2014 at 23:20 ----------

Yes I loved those days about half a dozen of us used to knock about together. I had a blue suit with a figertip length jacket and half-moon pockets.The trousers were twelve inch bottoms and the outfit was completed with a pair of black suede beetle crushers. I didn't go the whole hog like some of, my mates and have a velvet collar. My Mum just about dis owned me during that couple of years. We didn't do any real harm though and had a lot of fun! The Locarno on Thursday and Sunday nights, the Roxy on Saturday night. Then there was the Teenbar on Heeley bottom and the fair at Farm-grounds during the Summer. I'd give a lot to have one of those Summers back!

Me too! The birth of real Rock n Roll, caused quite a stir

Edited by ptrA

Hi there, heard you were looking for some of the old Broughton mob

You found me, Brian Hassanali

Now living in Bournemouth

Who am I talking to

---------- Post added 09-03-2017 at 22:14 ----------

You've just found Brian Hassanali floating around in Bournemouth

Jp I was a teddy boy in the 50s finished early year 1961 they were just about finished then places we knock about were the elmambo cafe tean age tavern cafe disc jockey cafe zodiac cafe  dance halls Locarno  dance hall roxey ball room all Sheffield area and pubs where we could get in   Cloths. jackets length 3inches below finger tips half moon pockets  or straight down the top ones link button  square  corners bottom of jacket 3ins roll collar one piece back trousers bottoms 12ins 14 at knee front jet front pockets near waist 2ins turn ups colours  black.  Powder blue. Shugar bag blue  dark red.  And. Pale blue jacket with silver threads trousers the only they were black shoes wedge heel crape soles  not as big as 70s style soles   Music rock and roll   Artists all the ones that   bands that play this music now  Elvis since 1955 started with 78s   Lps and 45s  I was vocalist with band for many years    1950s best days ever 

14 hours ago, Slinny said:

Jp I was a teddy boy in the 50s finished early year 1961 they were just about finished then places we knock about were the elmambo cafe tean age tavern cafe disc jockey cafe zodiac cafe  dance halls Locarno  dance hall roxey ball room all Sheffield area and pubs where we could get in   Cloths. jackets length 3inches below finger tips half moon pockets  or straight down the top ones link button  square  corners bottom of jacket 3ins roll collar one piece back trousers bottoms 12ins 14 at knee front jet front pockets near waist 2ins turn ups colours  black.  Powder blue. Shugar bag blue  dark red.  And. Pale blue jacket with silver threads trousers the only they were black shoes wedge heel crape soles  not as big as 70s style soles   Music rock and roll   Artists all the ones that   bands that play this music now  Elvis since 1955 started with 78s   Lps and 45s  I was vocalist with band for many years    1950s best days ever 

Hi Slinny  and welcome to the Forum.

Were you a pupil at Frecheville School? If so I recall you and a few other 'Teds' and lasses singing Tom Dooley at the Christmas concert in probably 1958, as that's when the Kingston Trio had a hit with it. Best performance by a class, that year!

echo.

10 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Hi Slinny  and welcome to the Forum.

Were you a pupil at Frecheville School? If so I recall you and a few other 'Teds' and lasses singing Tom Dooley at the Christmas concert in probably 1958, as that's when the Kingston Trio had a hit with it. Best performance by a class, that year!

echo.

Thats him . but would have  left that year I think .

Edited by cuttsie

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Thats him . but would have  left that year I think .

Thanks cuttsie.

I could have left in December 1960 but stayed on a few weeks before getting a temporary job at Laycock Engineering for a few months until  I started at Chesterfield Tech in September 61.

I know that Slinny was older than me and always thought he was in the year above, meaning that he could have left in Dec 59 although perhaps he was older than that. The memory starts to play tricks at our age!

Maybe Slinny will reply himself and confirm the facts.

Did you also go to Frecheville?

echo.

Edited by echo beach

4 hours ago, echo beach said:

Thanks cuttsie.

I could have left in December 1960 but stayed on a few weeks before getting a temporary job at Laycock Engineering for a few months until  I started at Chesterfield Tech in September 61.

I know that Slinny was older than me and always thought he was in the year above, meaning that he could have left in Dec 59 although perhaps he was older than that. The memory starts to play tricks at our age!

Maybe Slinny will reply himself and confirm the facts.

Did you also go to Frecheville?

echo.

No I was educated at Prince Edwards school at the Manor Top , my arse still hurts from the corporal punishments carried out by ex war veterans who were now teachers to us lot . Mind you some of us were toss pots but a lot depended on how well dressed you were .

Hi e I left frechville in Christmas 58 it was myself Rex Lloyd and Roy hempsall that did the concerts one in 57 and other in 58 I do not remember singing Tom Dooley  let’s have a party Elvis  20 flight rock eddy cochran  paralysed Elvis  and Santa bring my baby back to me  Elvis can anyone rememder Linda Clarke my girl friend at school,7 and a few a few months after, my mates in the group have died    Ps school was alright but I was not much good at it 

11 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi e I left frechville in Christmas 58 it was myself Rex Lloyd and Roy hempsall that did the concerts one in 57 and other in 58 I do not remember singing Tom Dooley  let’s have a party Elvis  20 flight rock eddy cochran  paralysed Elvis  and Santa bring my baby back to me  Elvis can anyone rememder Linda Clarke my girl friend at school,7 and a few a few months after, my mates in the group have died    Ps school was alright but I was not much good at it 

Thanks for putting me right Slinny (sorry I don't know your first name.)

I always thought that you were just a year ahead of me when in actual fact there's two year's difference. Just shows how our memory can play tricks. I think my misunderstanding stems from an after school scrap on the field between one of your friends and a lad from the year above me and I assumed both pupils were in the same year group.

I can only remember seeing your Christmas performance once,  presumably in 1958, just before you left.

Perhaps in 1957 there wasn't room in the hall for first year kids and so we were excluded.

Anyhow in '58  your short time on stage obviously left  an indelible mark. I recall your group being on the lines of a Skiffle band complete with tea chest bass and guitars. There were also backing girl singers and you certainly sang Tom Dooley.

At the end the kids were on there feet clapping in appreciation, much to the chagrin of the staff!

I understand you continued to perform after leaving school which is great to hear.

I know of a few mates in my class who are no longer with us. Who in your band have already left for the great rock 'n roll gig in the sky?

echo.