Coffee Culture

Havent read all the other threads, but am gutted to find that we had a pret and lost it. I lived in London for a while and became addicted to prets, they are pricey but you got what you paid for - free range/organic food etc. no additives.

Dont know what difference that makes but their sandwiches and coffee were orgasmic! We need one in the centre, no wonder it failed at meadow hall. They do the best quality sandwiches in the UK, for the price, rant, rave, etc. Lets campaign for a new one! There worth it, Sheffields worth it!:)

I've got a question.

i don't drink coffee in fact i hate the stuff. Is it really that much better coffee paying £2-3 from starbucks when you get pretty much the same stuff from wetherspoons for less than a quid?

also i don't think pret shut because people won't pay £3 for a sandwich, considering there are 4 subways in sheff that are usually busy and it costs up to a fiver in there

Well, if you were a serious coffee drinker, you wouldn't say that. I think there is indeed a lack of decent baristas in general in the UK anyway. So oddly, maybe there isn't that much difference in what you do get from Starbucks. :(

I hate it when the people are given great machines and great ingredients to make a cup of coffee, but they spoil it by doing something wrong or don't respect it for what it is. :o

Why oh why oh why are you all getting excited about the thought of those nasty, contrived, corporate chains coming to Sheffield. They are bland, unoriginal and destroy the individual character of any town or city. I have recently lived in Brighton and Kew and both of those areas lost something when Starbucks set up shop there.

Where's the northern entrepreneurial spirit? If you want cool funky coffee shops why don't Sheffielders set them up themselves! I used to adore the bijou Cafe Sol on Eccleshall Road (which closed down recently) and just across from me now is the fantastic Coffee Moco on West Street. The more places like this, the better I say!

It is. It is ! Unfortunately, I don't think the market is there to spend an arm and leg for quality food. Cos people don't even believe in food up here! As long as you get fed, then this is okay. I wouldn't mind living somewhere like Brighton. Then again, the standard of living is pretty high there, so I can understand why people will spend more time eating out. It's very hard to actually have independent stores and shops here offering a middle region of quality food.

In actual fact, there had been a lot of coffee shops that had been and gone aroudn the city centre. I watched it decline over the years...I don't know whether it is the coffee which they offer, or that it is not of a high standard, or whatever.

That shows how far behind Leeds we are. Leeds has three Pret a Mangers, and they always seem to be packed.

Yeah, it's the best way to judge a city, how many coffe shops they have. I'd rather have a cup of tea and a cheese sandwich.

Hi!

I was wondering where to get coffee oil for baking, here in Sheffield?

I just received a recipe from a friend whose mom makes the best coffee oil cookies i've ever tasted. obviously, the recipe calls for coffee oil.

I've tried searching on the web, but couldn't find it.

Am hoping that some of you coffee lovers would know where I can find it.

Thanks!

:-)

ridz

Hi!

I was wondering where to get coffee oil for baking, here in Sheffield?

I just received a recipe from a friend whose mom makes the best coffee oil cookies i've ever tasted. obviously, the recipe calls for coffee oil.

I've tried searching on the web, but couldn't find it.

Am hoping that some of you coffee lovers would know where I can find it.

Thanks!

:-)

ridz

The thread was started 8 years ago, and the most recent post was from 2007, so good luck! Hopefully someone who is around now may be able to help.