Family Surnames

The name Calvert dates back to the early 18th century when road construction was a major industry, it was a mispronunciation of the word culvert which was a drainage channel, when road builders with thick cockney accents said this word it sounded like Calvert and has been in usage ever since.

Two Calverts in Sheffield are Ronny and Billy who were good boxers in there day 50,s 60,s 70,s .

Billy [or was it Ronny] worked in furnace building with me in the late sixty,s and lived at Darnall.

The name Calvert dates back to the early 18th century when road construction was a major industry, it was a mispronunciation of the word culvert which was a drainage channel, when road builders with thick cockney accents said this word it sounded like Calvert and has been in usage ever since.

A fine but unlikely story.

Just looked in the catalogue of the National Archives and there are plenty of references to people called CALVERT from the 16th century.

here's another theory:

"This interesting surname is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is an occupational name for a tender of cattle, deriving from the Middle English "calfhirde", a development of the Olde English pre 7th Century "calf" meaning calf, plus "hierde", herdsman"

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Calvert

Hugh

Dear Notbusy - Lawrence Calvert was my father (originally a butcher) and then a bus driver - I think we may be half-brother/sister???!!!

Dear Notbusy - Lawrence Calvert was my father (originally a butcher) and then a bus driver - I think we may be half-brother/sister???!!!

Ohhh now thats interesting! x

Wow BubblesHJC. Little shocked right now! I forgot all about this thread.

Martin Calvert co-designer of the Calvert Stevens wood plane came from Sheffield we used to service his cars in the eighties.

Dear NotBusy

Have tried to PM you found I need to add more to the Forum.

if you google the meanings of surnames that should give you the answe it worked for me

My best friend is called Calvert and she's done a lot of research into the name. She originates from Sprotborough in Doncaster. I don't think she does much at the family history these days but I could pass your details on to her if you can PM me.

My best friend is called Calvert and she's done a lot of research into the name. She originates from Sprotborough in Doncaster. I don't think she does much at the family history these days but I could pass your details on to her if you can PM me.

I used to know a Bernie Calvert from Doncaster, ex RAF chap

Edited by mr_blue_owl
TYPO

Thank you everyone for your replies. BubblesHJC and Rustybob ive PM'ed you!