Family Surnames

Hi i was wondering if anyone knows the surname Calvert?

I dont really know much about my past or family but i know my dad was called Lawrence Calvert and was a bus driver.

Thanks in advance.

Hi - the bmd indexes show a Lawrence Vincent Calvert, born (possibly in Worksop) on 1 April 1933, died in Sheffield June 1989 - perhaps this was your dad? A Lawrence Calvert married a Dorothy J. Savage in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1954. The 2004 electoral roll shows a Dorothy J. Calvert at an address in S14. The 1968 and 1973 Kelly's Directories show "L. Calvert" at the same address.

The surname Calvert originally meant "calf-herd" and seems to have originated in Northeast England to judge from the data on this site.

Edited by hillsbro

Assuming the Lawrence Calvert born at Worksop is the correct one, his parents were most likely Brett Calvert (born Worksop, 1898.) and Lois Selina Calvert, née Bennett (born Eckington, 1902), who married in Worksop in 1920 and had six more children between 1921 and 1935. Going back further, the 1901 census shows that Brett's father Walter Calvert was a self-employed carriage builder who came originally from Grimsby.

Thank you guys this is excellent information. The only information i have is what is on my birth certificate. It only says my dads name and my mums name and where they were born. I dont have any family to ask about this as my mum died a few years ago and its only now im showing an interest.

Hi notbusy - glad to be able to help. If Lawrence and Dorothy were indeed your parents, it might not be difficult to trace one or other line back further.

hi my grandma who was born in 1912-14 was called charlotte calvert her dad was ernest calvert

There was a Calvert family in S13, they were industrial cleaners, I recall them cleaning John Lewis's windows, Andy Calvert took over the business, he also had a shop on Abbeydale Road selling vacs.

He has two brothers, one is Glynn, as of Glynn's ladies hair stylist, the other I can't remember his name, but he married Henry Hall's daughter and runs Hall's shop fitting, opposite the old Nether Edge hospital.

I dont know if you know but a "Calvert" was a person who looked after young cows in fact a Calf Herder.

...Andy Calvert took over the business, he also had a shop on Abbeydale Road selling vacs. ... He has two brothers, one is Glynn, as of Glynn's ladies hair stylist, the other I can't remember his name, but he married Henry Hall's daughter ....
From public records: Andrew H. Calvert, born Sheffield 1950, Glynn M. Calvert, born Sheffield 1947, Paul M. Calvert, born Sheffield 1943, married Pauline M. Hall, Sheffield 1967.

Put a surname to all the sheila 's you knew in the shiegreen hotel eara in the 50' & 60's.

Put a surname to all the sheila 's you knew in the shiegreen hotel eara in the 50' & 60's.

Dont know if you was talking to me but i was'nt born in the 50's/60's.

Although i did live in shiregreen for a few years.

Hi,

We have today just fallen upon this Forum Family Info Request. I am a Mrs Calvert by marriage obviously, and think me and my husband might know who you may be. Does your first name begin with the letter "L" and be a similar name to your father's but a feminine version? If so, please PM me and I will discuss further. x