Favourite gaming console you've ever owned/played on?

To answer the topic my faves are: sega megadrive, neo geo MVS and Dreamcast. I LOVE arcade games, and the new geo was the best for that. For me the Dreamcast is the spiritual successor to the Neogeo.

<...>but I need a C64, Atari Lynx, PSP, DS Lite, SNES... and there are quite a few others I'd like too.
You don't. Seriously. It's a PoS. There's a few more. Jaguar and VirtualBoy, to name a couple.

@ DeathAxe: not to nitpick, but did you mean NeoGeo AES? We're on about consoles, my good man ;)

You don't. Seriously. It's a PoS. There's a few more. Jaguar and VirtualBoy, to name a couple.

@ DeathAxe: not to nitpick, but did you mean NeoGeo AES? We're on about consoles, my good man ;)

With the neogeo it is a case of potato, poh-tato as the MVS and AES where pretty much the same (and used the same rom data for most games). You can also use MVS carts on an AES via adapter and so on.

And you can consoleise the MVS. :-)

OUYA is good. I have a game on there!

Also some other Android based consoles coming along, Amazon Fire TV etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple do something similar, along the lines of Apple TV, but with games and apps.

With the neogeo it is a case of potato, poh-tato as the MVS and AES where pretty much the same (and used the same rom data for most games). You can also use MVS carts on an AES via adapter and so on.

And you can consoleise the MVS. :-)

Of course, and you can even buy 1xx-in-1 MVS carts providing a 1:1 gaming experience, saving you the hassle and expense of storing tens of single-game carts...Did I mention that I have a minty Lordsvale (original L button layout, not later curved version) with a 1-slot and a 161-in-1 in my home office? ;)

But this is a console thread, and SNK only made 3 of those (all prototypes excepted): the AES, the B&W NGP and the colour NGP :)

Those AES<>MVS converters are rarer and more expensive than rocking horse poo. Latest gen excepted, the AES is 1 of the only 2 consoles I've never owned at any time. The other one was a PCE LT, as that's always been mega-£££s.

Edited by L00b

Of course, and you can even buy 1xx-in-1 MVS carts providing a 1:1 gaming experience, saving you the hassle and expense of storing tens of single-game carts...Did I mention that I have a minty Lordsvale (original L button layout, not later curved version) with a 1-slot and a 161-in-1 in my home office? ;)

But this is a console thread, and SNK only made 3 of those (all prototypes excepted): the AES, the B&W NGP and the colour NGP :)

Those AES<>MVS converters are rarer and more expensive than rocking horse poo. Latest gen excepted, the AES is 1 of the only 2 consoles I've never owned at any time. The other one was a PCE LT, as that's always been mega-£££s.

It won't be difficult to make your own converter, so save some dosh.

My neogeo setup is not as impressive as yours; all my arcade gaming is done via MAME. But my PC and sound equipment is awesome (had to add some willy waving also!)

My neogeo setup is not as impressive as yours; all my arcade gaming is done via MAME. But my PC and sound equipment is awesome (had to add some willy waving also!)
:D

Currently, a 1-slot MVS mobo (any will do, no need for socketed bios/unibios) will set you back around £50. A 161-in-1 MVS cart will set you back around the same. Multislot MVS mobos don't like 1xx-in-1 MVS carts, frequently reported.

You'd need either a Supergun (they come in all shapes, sizes and prices, e.g. there's a guy on Arcade Otaku and J+ who used to sell them for £20-odd, and some highly-regarded JP ones can fetch hundreds) or better still, a cab (Jamma will do, starting from £60-odd, for a worker in reasonable nick - don't buy on eBay).

It's really not as expensive as people think. And significantly cheaper than AES (north of £150 for a grubby console with 1 kidney bean CDZ pad, a megadrive PSU and an RGB cable these days, and AES cart prices have now long been really stupid), without faffing with the adapter.

Though working Lordsvales in decent nick fetch a minimum of £250 these days (cab only, complete and working, no mobo/games).

SNES: some epic epic games...sure I can get them on the Wii U but still...

Sega Megadrive as well - again some great games. Some of the 3DS e-shop.

:D

Currently, a 1-slot MVS mobo (any will do, no need for socketed bios/unibios) will set you back around £50. A 161-in-1 MVS cart will set you back around the same. Multislot MVS mobos don't like 1xx-in-1 MVS carts, frequently reported.

You'd need either a Supergun (they come in all shapes, sizes and prices, e.g. there's a guy on Arcade Otaku and J+ who used to sell them for £20-odd, and some highly-regarded JP ones can fetch hundreds) or better still, a cab (Jamma will do, starting from £60-odd, for a worker in reasonable nick - don't buy on eBay).

It's really not as expensive as people think. And significantly cheaper than AES (north of £150 for a grubby console with 1 kidney bean CDZ pad, a megadrive PSU and an RGB cable these days, and AES cart prices have now long been really stupid), without faffing with the adapter.

Though working Lordsvales in decent nick fetch a minimum of £250 these days (cab only, complete and working, no mobo/games).

Loob

Have you got any MVS carts for sale or trade?

Loob

Have you got any MVS carts for sale or trade?

Nope, sorry.

I'm practical, not a collector these days: flogged all those I had and my 4-slot, kept a 1-slot and got a 161-in-1, and pocketed the change ;)

There's a couple of arcade-centric Forums I'm a member of, where there are always MVS carts going for sale or trade at any one time, Jammaplus and Arcade Otaku. Arcade Otaku is more candies and generally-japaneysee-oriented, J+ is more jamma and 'olsdschool' cabs (with a side order of pins these days), both have a very healthy neogeo arcade activity.

OUYA is good. I have a game on there!

Also some other Android based consoles coming along, Amazon Fire TV etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple do something similar, along the lines of Apple TV, but with games and apps.

I like the Megadrive and N64 emulators for Android

Nope, sorry.

I'm practical, not a collector these days: flogged all those I had and my 4-slot, kept a 1-slot and got a 161-in-1, and pocketed the change ;)

There's a couple of arcade-centric Forums I'm a member of, where there are always MVS carts going for sale or trade at any one time, Jammaplus and Arcade Otaku. Arcade Otaku is more candies and generally-japaneysee-oriented, J+ is more jamma and 'olsdschool' cabs (with a side order of pins these days), both have a very healthy neogeo arcade activity.

I've just bought another consolised one slot, I had the 161in1 but it was full of bugs so I got rid, trying to find another one :(