Poppies and 'grief facism'

Rememberance Sunday? Sunday?

Why do you have it on Sunday. the 11/11 doesn't always fall on a Sunday.

I presume it is for religious service and the act of visiting a cenotaph / memorial. It makes a certain sense to take the time out on a Sunday. A silence is still observed on the 11th, is it not?

The wearing of a poppy to me is simply a way of showing you remember all those who died in wars and that they are not forgotten.

I presume it is for religious service and the act of visiting a cenotaph / memorial. It makes a certain sense to take the time out on a Sunday. A silence is still observed on the 11th, is it not?

much to my dismay, none of the places I have worked at in the UK for the past 5 years have.... although they have for the Hillsborough Distaster, September 11 and 7th July.

Unfortunately, that's not the case. Remembrance day was held on the 11th of November but the government (and I can't remember which one) decided to move it to a Sunday because (presumably) it wasn't deemed to be important enough to merit disrupting a work day.

I guess Sunday's also have some spiritual significance which may have affected the decision.