Smoking and nhs

This is the second ambiguous thread the OP has started in the past few minutes.

You would think they were trying to get 5 posts quickly so they could sell some tat, but no they have over 100 posts.

I don't think docotrs and nurses should smoke while they are doing an operation, it's not hygenic.

I don't think docotrs and nurses should smoke while they are doing an operation, it's not hygenic.

You're right,the blood gets everywhere...

Unless they're operating on the lungs of a chain smoker, say, where sudden nicotine withdrawal would probably cause the patient to go into shock. Or something.

I smoke, and I use the NHS. Both work for me. What's the question?

:confused:

Smokers keep me in a job within the NHS...

Let us see if by taking up smoking tomorrow I might do the country harm or good. Simple stuff, not going to involve actuarial tables or mortality/morbidity stats.

So I’m 18 and I plan to do 20 a day and I’m happy for the £3 or so (tax on each 20) to go to the coffers of HM Gov. I know that I’m going to smoke exactly 20 a day for the 365.25 days per year. So that’s about £1095 per year to said org. Like most I’m hoping to live for another 50 years or so and over this time HM Gov can invest my money at some sort of interest rate, maybe something small like 5% and I assume they will get a compound interest return of this over the whole period – I’m expecting them to index it to inflation but I won’t add that in these calculations so that the money at the end will be in today’s terms. In 50 years I will have contributed the equivalent of £229,236, that’s nearly a quarter of a million. I’m sure that HM Gov can get a better return than 5% on my smokeaid, if they only get 7.5% interest per year then it will take my smokecare fund to over half a million pounds. Don’t forget that I used zero inflation so that is like what it’s worth today.

Now you don’t need me to use my magic calculator to tell you that when you multiply quarters or halves of millions by the number of smokers (probably 100 thousand aged the same as me) that in 50 years like me they will have contributed the same; so £0.50 million (each smokecare fund) x 0.10 million (people) = 0.05 million million, that’s £50 billion every year.

Pick what holes you like in my figures but filthy smelly smokers contribute to your health and my health care. Let’s have three cheers for all those thoughtful smokers.

Whilst we are at it let’s hear it for the drinkers and pie eaters. Hoorah!!!!

I don't nor ever have smoked but leave people alone to enjoy their lives how they damn well please.

Edited by Gnnnik

My old Mum had her leg chopped off, she had little left in her life and continued to enjoy a puff. It didn't heal very well as a consequence (possibly, but she was told definitively) and a few years later she died. She was rather more fortunate than my old man who was a 40 park-drive a day man, he had both his legs chopped off and met his demise rather quicker. I know if I were a smoker I'd be walking around the house on my knees toughening up potential future stumps. But I'm not, I do drink a bit but eat well. Where will all this poking our noses into other people's business end? In tears for many.

Like most I’m hoping to live for another 50 years or so and over this time HM Gov can invest my money at some sort of interest rate, maybe something small like 5% and I assume they will get a compound interest return of this over the whole period – I’m expecting them to index it to inflation but I won’t add that in these calculations so that the money at the end will be in today’s terms. In 50 years I will have contributed the equivalent of £229,236, that’s nearly a quarter of a million.

Save it?! They wouldn't save it, they would spend it! So your £229,236 becomes £54,750 at today's prices. Adjusting for inflation is irrelevant because the funds would be spent almost as soon as they are raised. Around half of that will go on paying the costs of smoking related diseases, so let's say £27,500. Not bad, but nothing to brag about!

You're forgetting of course that your most generous contribution would quite possibly come from the pension costs saved by your prematurely death.:)