Hand rearing puppies is so intense!

Well the pups are 2 weeks old tomorrow and it has been the most stressfull and intense time ever!

I have nursed them from near hypothermia when they first came home with me and lots of TLC when the little girl had diarreah. Not only am I sterilising bottles and making up milk for my 9 week old baby but I am bottle feeding the pups aswell.

Everytime I woke up I expected to find one or both had passed away but they are thriving putting on 10-20g daily and now taking a whopping 30-40mls at each feed. The little girl has just opened her eyes slightely this morning and like a new mummy being proud of her child i cried like a baby when she was looking at me whilst having her morning feed... it was lovely to see how she is coming on.:love:

I have to say that this is definatley not something I ever want to go through again but it is so rewarding knowing that I have kept them alive and they are healthy.

Just thought that some of you might like to see a pic of my babies

the little girl

IMGP1376.jpg

and the little boy..

IMGP1375.jpg

It is a curiously satisfying process isn't it?

I'm a kitten midwife on a regular basis and it's every bit as special as being around human babies, even though a feed and toileting for 7 babies every 2 hours (which takes an hour each time) makes for chronic sleep deprivation!

Thankfully kittens and puppies grow up and wean a whole lot quicker than human babies and this will all be over by the time they're 8 weeks over and you've got bundles of fluff running round your feet :)

Well the pups are 2 weeks old tomorrow and it has been the most stressfull and intense time ever!

I have nursed them from near hypothermia when they first came home with me and lots of TLC when the little girl had diarreah. Not only am I sterilising bottles and making up milk for my 9 week old baby but I am bottle feeding the pups aswell.

Everytime I woke up I expected to find one or both had passed away but they are thriving putting on 10-20g daily and now taking a whopping 30-40mls at each feed. The little girl has just opened her eyes slightely this morning and like a new mummy being proud of her child i cried like a baby when she was looking at me whilst having her morning feed... it was lovely to see how she is coming on.:love:

I have to say that this is definatley not something I ever want to go through again but it is so rewarding knowing that I have kept them alive and they are healthy.

Just thought that some of you might like to see a pic of my babies

the little girl

IMGP1376.jpg

and the little boy..

IMGP1375.jpg

Well done hun, it is very hard work, but just look how they are thriving, they are gorgous puppies. It will get easier as they are growing x

where are they from?

They are from my dog

Wow they are beautiful! :love: I've hand fed kittens before, but they came to us just as they were almost weaned, so I never had the trauma of up every hour in the night thank God :) Good luck with them, and keep us updated! (with lots and lots of pictures.... :D )

what happend to mum?

She ended up having a emergency c-section after she gave birth to a stillborn and one got stuck as she was breech and too big for the birth canal.

She came round from the c-section well but after seeing the stillborn regarded the rest of the litter as a dud (this is what my vet said) and that is why she rejected them... well she put the little girl in her mouth and tried to eat her!

So I have been looking after the pups... we did try her for a good couple of days but she would not even let the pups have any colostrum, would not be near them at all.

It's a shame because she tried so hard to revive the firstborn and she would have been a fantstic mummy but it wasn't to be...

I am well and truly on the no breeding bus know before you have a go at me BUT something somebody told me struck a chord which was..... if nobody bred, then none of us would have our furries! So we could stop everybody from breeding but our homes would be sadder, quieter places.

She ended up having a emergency c-section after she gave birth to a stillborn and one got stuck as she was breech and too big for the birth canal.

She came round from the c-section well but after seeing the stillborn regarded the rest of the litter as a dud (this is what my vet said) and that is why she rejected them... well she put the little girl in her mouth and tried to eat her!

So I have been looking after the pups... we did try her for a good couple of days but she would not even let the pups have any colostrum, would not be near them at all.

It's a shame because she tried so hard to revive the firstborn and she would have been a fantstic mummy but it wasn't to be...

I am well and truly on the no breeding bus know before you have a go at me BUT something somebody told me struck a chord which was..... if nobody bred, then none of us would have our furries! So we could stop everybody from breeding but our homes would be sadder, quieter places.

hey listen i werent going to have a go hun i was just intrigued, im the last person to judge, sounds like your paying for what went wrong tho and just glad everybodys ok out of it,i always said i would have rescues but with what happend with sandy i wont ever have a rescue again while i have children, personaly am against breeding yes, but if it wasent for my friend having litter of pups accidently i wouldent have dylan so people can complain all they wont and they are warrented but then nobody would have dogs

have you had advice on how to look after the mother too?

mastitis and cancer are common in bitches who haven't been looked after correctly following a litter

have you had advice on how to look after the mother too?

mastitis and cancer are common in bitches who haven't been looked after correctly following a litter

Very true Strix I had a whole shower of **** with one of my bitches who needed a c section,despite getting her every availible help needed to ensure her recovery .

sorry saz sleep derprivation makes a snappy kate lol!

she is being vet checked weekly. Her milk production has stopped completely and i checked daily for hotness or redness as well as lumpy tender areas. Her wound is healing fantastic and is free from infection. I am also keeping a close eye on her loss which is almost down to nothing and any changes in her mood or behaviour. And for the first 10 days i daily checked her temp for any spikes just on case something was brewing that had no other signs... I think i have done everything i should have and my vet is really happy with me so I am pleased all 3 of them are doing ok.

The vet actually didn't want to spay he said it something they do not routinely when doing a section but she will be getting done.

Oh and now both pups have eyes open which means they peek out from there bed and when they see me they squark like a gaggle of gueese ! absolutely hilarious!!!