Beta office now expired what now??

:)Hi all, I downloaded a free trial of Beta 2010 office program - really been great - was opening emails via the outlook icon and all was well, now its expired and I was wondering do I have to buy and office package to carry on using or can I download further free trials - my emails are with virgin but I hate getting them from their site always have had emails via outlook express so would prefer via outlook - I am very simple where computer is concerned so easy instructions much appreciated :)

If you want to use Microsoft Office, you're supposed to pay for it & it's quite expensive.

A lot of people find Open Office to be an adequate replacement & that's free forever, download it from http://www.openoffice.org/ It doesn't do email though, it's (mainly) for word processing & spreadsheets.

Thunderbird is a good free email program, download it here: http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-GB/thunderbird/

Virgin's email service always used to be poor, there were constant problems, I'm not sure if it's any better now, I've avoided it for years. You'll have to change email address if you ever change isp, if you stick with your virgin email too. You'll probably be better off with a free Yahoo or Gmail account for your email.

Edited by anywebsite

Open Office is the way to go. You can get just about any equivilent Microsoft product free if you look around on the internet.

Anywebsite, thanks for that I have now done that Thunderbird one, its great just what I wanted and took literally 5 minutes to sort it, thanks so much :)

Virgin's email service always used to be poor, there were constant problems, I'm not sure if it's any better now, I've avoided it for years. You'll have to change email address if you ever change isp, if you stick with your virgin email too. You'll probably be better off with a free Yahoo or Gmail account for your email.

It's handled by Gmail now so shouldnt be too bad although I prefer to use Outlook.

Thunderbird's good for email although when I gave it a go I couldnt get a decent calendar sync but that might have been sorted since.

Hi, as previously noted - I now get my emails via Thunderbird, but I cant seem to SEND emails - I receive them fine, just cannot send them - not very computer literate, could anyone advise what would be wrong??? :(

Tools/Account Settings

Outgoing server (smtp) - enter smtp.yourisp.net or .com whatever.

Make the port number 25.

You should now be able to send

swarfendor43

It's handled by Gmail now so shouldnt be too bad although I prefer to use Outlook.

Thunderbird's good for email although when I gave it a go I couldnt get a decent calendar sync but that might have been sorted since.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/

swarfendor43

Thanks Swarfender 43 but when I look in the SMTP box it says smtp.google.mail already typed in or use default server, it doesnt give me the option to put my own email company in :confused:

Open Office is the way to go. You can get just about any equivilent Microsoft product free if you look around on the internet.

I like its derivative:

Oxygen Office Professional from here - be sure to select "View All Files" button and select Windows 32-bit binary.

swarfendor43

Thanks Swarfender 43 but when I look in the SMTP box it says smtp.google.mail already typed in or use default server, it doesnt give me the option to put my own email company in :confused:

What is your inbox account set to?

Tools/Account Settings/Server Settings

swarfendor43