Most Effective/ Proven Ways to Advertise a Small Local Business

Hi, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum, I couldn't find anything that quite answered this.

I have a small local Domestic Appliance Repair firm that covers Sheffield and surrounding areas, repairing, servicing and selling washing machines and other kitchen appliances.

I currently advertise on many free websites, yell.com (at present with a free advert only having just dropped my sponsored yell.com listing as I didn't think it was doing much), yellow pages, The Leader paper which covers Eckington, Halfway and that end, and most recently iv taken a yell managed adwords campaign - I'm yet to see any benefit from this and in fact not even sure its live. I also have a self made website which iv optimised as best as I know how as a novice!

I'm considering an advert in the Sixer as I have heard good reviews about this.

So i'm asking if you needed your washing machine repairing or similar, where would you look? What would you look for & any other advice you think i need to heed! My advertising budget isn't huge...

Thanks.

I would look in the Thomson local offline, and online would Google it or ask on Facebook if anyone knows someone they can recommend. I would look there if I had a normal washer but luckily I have a dyson which for the first 4-5 years I got free parts and labour and 24 hour that I never even paid for.

Edited by indizine

hi mate try freeads.com small business directoy online google it and it will come up put some ads up in shops and garages

Hi, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum, I couldn't find anything that quite answered this.

I have a small local Domestic Appliance Repair firm that covers Sheffield and surrounding areas, repairing, servicing and selling washing machines and other kitchen appliances.

I currently advertise on many free websites, yell.com (at present with a free advert only having just dropped my sponsored yell.com listing as I didn't think it was doing much), yellow pages, The Leader paper which covers Eckington, Halfway and that end, and most recently iv taken a yell managed adwords campaign - I'm yet to see any benefit from this and in fact not even sure its live. I also have a self made website which iv optimised as best as I know how as a novice!

So i'm asking if you needed your washing machine repairing or similar, where would you look? What would you look for & any other advice you think i need to heed! My advertising budget isn't huge...

Thanks.

Yours is a classic situation where the Internet could bring you huge advantages.

I remember a few years ago needing a spare part for a fridge (it was the bottom tray for a 7 year old Indesit). I simply typed the part number into Google and, low and behold, a company down in Devon came up. I phoned them and I had the part the following day.

The point here is, using traditional advertising methods, how would that company have found me on that particular day when I had my problem to solve?

Your situation is similar. People will only want you when they have a problem. Using traditional advertising is hit and miss; simply because it is pot luck if someone reads your advertisement at the time when they need your services.

If I want anything these days, I simply type it into Google. My advice is invest in your website and Search Engine Optimisation as this will connect you to people with problems AT THE TIME WHEN THAT PROBLEM OCCURS.

Steve, I need an IC part for my telly. Googled it and they only sell 'em in the USA but I would buy one today if I could find it.

Thanks.

Hi Craig , I'll send you a list of free advertising websites to your email address above , long and boring to do but worth it.Once you've trawled through them all you'll find that when you google your company or keywords you appear loads of times.A lot of them also give you the opportunity to link back to your website too which is fab.

Also I think someone else mentioned it but Post offices and local shops , very cheap rates and good feedback.Business cards into local establishments and arm your friends with some too.If you have a flyer or card , pop one in the post or pop in to see us and I'll put it up on the noticeboard in our reception for you

Cheers

Fiona

They say "location, location, location" And in your case the location is google, google, google!

Thompson local are crap. Poor in every respect and hardly any leads from it.

Yellow pages are another story. Not cheap but they were worth every penny.

Don't be fooled by crappy local papers/mags run by rip off small companies or the calenders/police/fire type mags that call you from Liverpool.

They claim to be raising cash for the various services but are in fact raising cash for their own pockets.

Thanks alot for your replies. Craig

WE get more business from Sheffield forum recomendations than from our £600 yellow pages ad

WE get more business from Sheffield forum recomendations than from our £600 yellow pages ad

I know what you mean - we're a web and marketing agency who have historically worked from word-of-mouth.

This year, in order to grow our business, we did two things we hadn't done before - spent £300 on a Touch Local priority listing and hired a sales guy.

Touch local listing ROI = £0

Sales guy ROI = £massive