Sheffield loses the Air Ambulance

save the pathetic shroud waving the fact is that YAA will still be covering S Yorks , just it's slightly more likely that helimed 54 or helimed 29 may have to fly into S Yorkshire rather than 98 flying into EMAS land and Derbyshire in particular ..

No shroud waving here my friend, pathetic or otherwise. !

I was merely correcting the other poster about the fact that Sheffield is indeed losing both air assets, whilst Leeds manages to retain both of theirs.

Leeds has the foresight to have an airport. If Sheffield had one it's a fair bet that both would be retained in Sheffield.

Leeds has the foresight to have an airport. If Sheffield had one it's a fair bet that both would be retained in Sheffield.

Both the police and air ambulance helicopters are based at Sheffield airport. ??

I haven't seen any reports in the media about the loss of either being attributed to the lack of anywhere for them to fly from ?

YAA are moving to North Yorks due to geography. (or is it due more money for donations being available there?) and The police have simply run out of money for theirs. !

I was merely correcting the other poster about the fact that Sheffield is indeed losing both air assets, whilst Leeds manages to retain both of theirs.

there is no 'Leeds' Air Ambulance, there is no 'Leeds' Police helicopter

the WEST YORKSHIRE Police helicopter is based in Wakefield and regardless of the location of the YAA aircraft , their are 2 YAA aircraft to cover the YAS service region plus the surrounding services cooperate, or has the the excursion of YAA into Cumbria, Lancashire, G Man and Derbyshire as clearly and publicly document been forgotten

Edited by zippy

Both the police and air ambulance helicopters are based at Sheffield airport. ??

I haven't seen any reports in the media about the loss of either being attributed to the lack of anywhere for them to fly from ?

YAA are moving to North Yorks due to geography. (or is it due more money for donations being available there?) and The police have simply run out of money for theirs. !

Only the police and air ambulance helicopters are based at what was Sheffield Airport. Keeping those facilities running is disproportionately expensive.

Actually that's not quite true because the police have their own facility alongside that relies on the airport location and the chief inspector actually appears to engaged in a game of public brinkmanship with the Home Office over his budgets. In addition the air ambulance / police helicopter coverage is what matters, not its base location.

there is no 'Leeds' Air Ambulance, there is no 'Leeds' Police helicopter

the WEST YORKSHIRE Police helicopter is based in Wakefield and regardless of the location of the YAA aircraft , their are 2 YAA aircraft to cover the YAS service region plus the surrounding services cooperate, or has the the excursion of YAA into Cumbria, Lancashire, G Man and Derbyshire as clearly and publicly document been forgotten

Well you will forgive me for a little civic pride in the city where I live.!

Personally I believe that Sheffield, indeed South Yorkshire as a whole, is deserving of such assets as a Police Helicopter AND/OR an Air Ambulance.

The county may well be covered from afar, but that will only be when incidents nearer to the helicopter bases arent occuring also. Time-critical incidents are prioritised by the chances of success / usefulness of the crew. So this region will slide down the pecking order.

I for one will always be critical of such decisions rather then trust that every decision made is in the best interest of the people being served.

Well you will forgive me for a little civic pride in the city where I live.!

Personally I believe that Sheffield, indeed South Yorkshire as a whole, is deserving of such assets as a Police Helicopter AND/OR an Air Ambulance.

The county may well be covered from afar, but that will only be when incidents nearer to the helicopter bases arent occuring also. Time-critical incidents are prioritised by the chances of success / usefulness of the crew. So this region will slide down the pecking order.

I for one will always be critical of such decisions rather then trust that every decision made is in the best interest of the people being served.

'afar'

what's the flying time to south yorkshire from LBA , RAF waddington or EMA ?

the fact is that South Yorkshire will still have cover from around 7 or 8 different potential aircraft ...

98 and 99 are not the only air ambulances that can reach S yorks, 54 and 29 are probably the next closest as the two arifcraft covering EMASland followed by the NW aircraft ... the west mids aircraft could reach as could GNAA aircraft not mention North Mids Police, WY and SY police , G man police and the RAF / Soteria SAR Aircraft ...

98 and 99 will still both be flying ... 98 currently spends a fair amount of it's time in Derbyshire, so perhaps 54 will have to do a little more work to wards the north of it's range , it may also be the case that some places where 98 was closest will now be closer to 54 or 29 ...

the simple fact is that the YAA and the other air ambulances will still be providing cover to S Yorks and for much of South Yorkshire the use of 98 is a convenience to prevent a secondary transfer from a DGH to a tertiary centre rather than the necessarily the fastest route to any recieving hospital ...

Edited by zippy

so its perfectly logical then to move the air ambulance away from 2 major motorway intersections ie thurcroft and wadworth, and what is one of europe's busiest streches of road, to where,? sleepy hollow in north yorkshire..? :huh:

Not to mention the lack of population up there..?..

(apart from the silly horsey set of course, who are constantly coming a cropper and falling off)

If placing it at sheffield was such a waste of time, why was the helicopter put at sheffield in the first place.?

And its pointless counting police choppers into the equation. Last I heard they are getting rid of 30% of them. The ones that are left will surely be too far away to count, and im sure I saw on that skycops programme that they arent even allowed to carry patients..!

I presume the operators of the london air ambulance are about to move out to the sticks too under the same logic..?

The people who operate the air ambulance know the answers to those questions and based their decisions on them.

You don't know the answers but you'll still give us your opinion based on that.

Have you donated to them recently... or ever?

Director of fundraising at the Yorkshire Air Ambulance charity, Paul Gowland, said a strategic review of the operations had been carried out.

He said: "What we're looking to do is provide the very best coverage for the whole of Yorkshire, for the five million population.

"The people of Yorkshire are better served with an aircraft at Thirsk and one at Leeds Bradford."

'Cost savings'

The air ambulance charity's chairman Peter Sunderland said the aircraft based at Leeds Bradford airport could reach areas of South Yorkshire within 10 minutes of taking off.

Mr Sunderland said: "We are certain this is a positive move for the charity and also ensures the best use of the financial resource donated by the people of Yorkshire.

"Operating from Bagby will also offer the charity considerable cost savings, which we feel is a great benefit going forward.

"We have a responsibility to make sure all monies donated are spent properly, wisely and efficiently," he added.

Edited by Tony
added donation link

You, was correcting :huh:

I thought it was milo who was correcting :confused:

the police chopper is been scrapped im told too

another case of sheffiel the 4th biggest city not acting like a small town disgracefull