Sheffield loses the Air Ambulance

I've just heard on the lunchtime news that the Air Ambulance based in Sheffield is now definitely being moved to Leeds in a cost cutting exercise,

Apparently, although the spokesman admitted that it would result in a poorer service for the South Yorkshire area, their over-riding responsibility is to all the people of Yorkshire. They can provide a better service for Yorkshire generally by having the Air Ambulance based in Leeds.

Sounds good.

I suppose we can look forward to more deaths on South Yorks roads because the helicopter can't get there on time... I mean, it's not like the Stocksbridge bypass is one of the most dangerous roads in the country, is it :loopy:

x

Good to see Lapdog Clegg using his influence again:shakes:

More importantly how will moving it from sheffield affect sponsorship ??

I Am aware of at least one major Sheffield company sponsoring it plus the good people of Sheffields backing could it be a decline in local support see more cutbacks ??

Good to see Lapdog Clegg using his influence again:shakes:

I thought Yorkshire Air Ambulance was a charity. What influence does Clegg have?

To be fair though, Leeds is pretty centrally placed in Yorkshire.

I thought it was the Yorkshire Air Ambulance and as such, covered the entire county of Yorkshire?! I wouldn't have thought it would have been too effective to have the chopper based at the southern end of the entire county. Surely, a central base would be the best and most fair option in the general scheme of things.

It would seem they are moving it too Bagby to save money.

Now. What I want to know is how much are/were they being charged to rent at Sheffield city airport?

Remember the airport was sold off for £1.

I thought it was the Yorkshire Air Ambulance and as such, covered the entire county of Yorkshire?! I wouldn't have thought it would have been too effective to have the chopper based at the southern end of the entire county. Surely, a central base would be the best and most fair option in the general scheme of things.

Its moving to Thirsk.

So one extreme to another,that seems to negate your theory.

A large percentage or the original purchase and set up costs were raised in Sheffield after a local businessmans daughter had a near fatal horse riding accident.

He fund raised incessently and encouraged many local businesses to do so too.

I just cant help feeling S.Yorks has drawn another short straw.

There is a map of national coverage here, but I'm not sure how reliable it would be...

http://www.airambulanceassociation.co.uk/find_your_air_ambulance.php

For example, Northumbria have 3, but it would seem they only have one in operation currently, one has been retired and one is being repaired? although they are planning to buy 3.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8510159.stm

I suppose the best thing about the air ambulances is that they can reach the national parks quickly.

Maybe we need 3 in Yorkshire?