Junior football, parents terrible behaviour

could you explain please,

Glad to.

It's all about the win and 3 points isn't it.

Football for kids should be about fun, in practice though it's anything but for most of them.

Glad to.

It's all about the win and 3 points isn't it.

Football for kids should be about fun, in practice though it's anything but for most of them.

i understand what your sayin to a certain extent, but football is a sport and there are always winners in sport, you need to have that desire and will to win to achieve your ambitions, you have to make sacrifices winning is the buzz no matter what level, in my opinion the wannabe managers coaches, and parents living in dreamland putting too much pressure on there kids is doing so much damage to junior football its unbelievable, for 75% of our junior footballers in this region sunday afternoons are a nightmare, cos there getting boxxocked off there dads,

I understand your point but, let's say, pressure shouldn't be a part of the game till at least under 13's, it should be about developing skills till that age, the points system ruins many a good footballer.

I understand your point but, let's say, pressure shouldn't be a part of the game till at least under 13's, it should be about developing skills till that age, the points system ruins many a good footballer.

sorry mate but i cant agree with that, its the winning what drives footballers on, its the managers coaches and parents which just can not accept defeat gracefully which spoil it for everyone else,

Please dont tar us with the same brush. Yes we have that adrenalin rush and want to win but me and my husband aren't particularly big football fans but have come to enjoy it for our sons sake. His manages job is to teach him football and i couldn't think of anything worse then to lower myself by argueing with some of the idiots pitchside.

Please dont tar us with the same brush. Yes we have that adrenalin rush and want to win but me and my husband aren't particularly big football fans but have come to enjoy it for our sons sake. His manages job is to teach him football and i couldn't think of anything worse then to lower myself by argueing with some of the idiots pitchside.

i,m not taring everyone with the same brush, i,ve met some fantastic supportive parents in the last 12 or so years, just as i guess you are, but unfortunatly the silly ones who live in dreamland and cant accept defeat spoil it for parents such as yourself,

Is this limited to football?

My kids play rugby, u9's and u13's. Never seen any bad behaviour from parents on the touchline, in fact the only bad behaviour we have seen was from a coach swearing at his players, it was an u8's game, most of the parents refused to let their kids play the second half until he apologised and calmed down.

It's not only football. I have also witnessed it with parents at swimming and squash competitions. Some parents labour under the delusion that paying for coaching and ferrying their children around means that their child owes them a trophy, and they don't hold back expressing their disappointment when this entirely misplaced sense of entitlement is frustrated.

It's yet another consequence of parents refusing to behave as adults. A parent in their extremely late thirties going through the terrible twos is an all too common and not very pretty sight.

i,m not taring everyone with the same brush, i,ve met some fantastic supportive parents in the last 12 or so years, just as i guess you are, but unfortunatly the silly ones who live in dreamland and cant accept defeat spoil it for parents such as yourself,

i wasnt aiming my comment at anyone particularly i understand and feel it a shame that these people spoil it for others. But its like anything really all the negatives are publicised more :(

its not judgmental its the truth, i have been around junior football for years and you dont get this behaviour up at crosspool, dore etc but you do at arbourthorne heeley, wybourn, norfolk park, manor

i can think of a couple of teams that are repeat offenders and that is why they have the fines to prove it

This is a ridiculas comment.

I live on sheff 5 and my son plays For a U13 Div A.

We travel right to the other side off town nearly every sunday for home and away matches playing in very wealthy areas.

However some off the language i have heard the boys comming out with i would walk on the pitch pull my sons shorts down and slap his arse infront off all the players.

Recently we played a team which wasnt even interested in the ball just took out the players!

We had players going down left right and centre they injured our goaly we still won and after there manager came on and said well done lads:loopy:

Ive had random mothers come up to me and say"If youve got owt to say say it to mi face"When i have been talking 1 off our teams mums on the sideline never even said anything about this woman :mad:.

Its crazy its not really fun anymoreand i can only see it getting worse.

Quite sad really.

Just thought I'd put my four penneth across.

I managed and coached a Sunday Junior team for several years and agree with several comments posted here regarding parents watching football. I don't agree with the 'certain areas' comment as it happened EVERYWHERE. I also include my team in this.. more of that in a minute.

A huge problem is the amount of parents who come to watch and support their child.. and not the team. Often questioning your tactics and decisions if their precious son isn't involved in every single action of a game. I've even had various dads positioning themselves around the field and shouting out their own tactics. The same parents are rarely available on away games when players need ferrying around South Yorkshire I might add. These, as someone mentioned, are often the parents who goad their lad into 'break his leg' etc.. Tell me again why managers have to have a CRB check and not parents?

I used to give up several hours in a week to coach.. several hours on a Sunday collecting lads up.. collecting none existant sub fees.. managing a dozen or so players.. sometimes refereeing.. mid week league meetings.. and then some oik of a mother gives you a flea in your ear for subbing her lad!.. Why anyone would want to run a sunday side these days is beyond me. I ended up like a social worker/home visitor for some lads.. they don't stand a chance in life.

When I used to play back in the 70s and 80s it wasn't anywhere near as bad (but did happen if we're all honest).. however the ref was pretty much THE voice of authority. We used to have one bloke who came in the dressing room before games and said 'RIGHT.. any swearing.. you get one chance.. second time I hear it and you're booked.. 3rd time you're off.. HOWEVER.. just one swear word directed at me and you're off'' no arguments.. and he did it. Trouble is, anyone who gives up their time to help kids play footy is under so much scrutiny they daren't say a word. Tell me thats not true.

Also, anyone who says it doesnt happen is lieing. Too many lads know their rights but don't know what's right. I would say ban all parents from the touchline but thats not fair on the good uns is it?

A lot of problems happen when - for instance - lads from Sheffield play lads from Barnsley.. or Rotherham.. or whatever. A lot of it is spur of the moment stuff but I've been to places where you know it's going to happen.. KNOW it.

I gave up in the end.. wasn't worth spoiling a sunday morning for.

Is this limited to football?

My kids play rugby, u9's and u13's. Never seen any bad behaviour from parents on the touchline, in fact the only bad behaviour we have seen was from a coach swearing at his players, it was an u8's game, most of the parents refused to let their kids play the second half until he apologised and calmed down.

I've coached junior rugby for over 10 years..I can only recall one instance of poor parental behaviour..the guy was asked to go into the clubhouse and calm down..he was OK after the match....where I coach we try to get the kids to enjoy themselves..winning is OK but it's not the be all and end all...we have cup competitions but no league structure as such so most of the games are "friendlies"..which gives us plenty of opportunity to coach the lads rather than spend all Sunday morning shouting at them...