The Devonshire pub, Ecclesall Road has been demolished!

It was a nice building. I noticed it had been halfdemolished on Friday night, going home from work ..they had taken the top storey off by them. I don't think we can afford to keep losing these interesting buildings.

Sad news ... Wetherspoons wins again? Pity they couldn't demolish the Wetherspoons snakepits, preferably with their customers still in them!

So, do we know that Wetherspoons has bought the site? Will there perhaps be bridged walkway going over the road with a "road view bar" :bigsmile:

Can you post a few pics, i would love to see this pub what everyone is talking about..

Sorry mate, don't know how to! Hopefully the pics posted by others will satisfy your curiosity.

What a shame. :(

That was the last remaining building from the lower Ecclesall Rd.

When it was part of something

That's an interesting picture. Ecclesall Rd bottom looks alot more interesting then than it does today!

Sad news ... Wetherspoons wins again? Pity they couldn't demolish the Wetherspoons snakepits, preferably with their customers still in them!

How exactly has Wetherspoons won? The Dev was shut long before Spoons opened. As others has said, times have moved on. If you don't like Spoons then don't go there, unfortunately for you people vote with their feet and they weren't going to the Dev but seem to be liking Spoons at the moment. Moore Street roundabout isn't exactly residential and a 5/10min walk in any direction you'll find a range of good pubs. I think it's easy to be sentimental about small pubs and blame the big chains, but I went to the Dev a couple of times in recent years and it was pretty awful unfortunately. There's an interesting post by an ex-landlord of the Dev here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6315792&postcount=50

Edited by mogwai84

Generally it has been poor esp since it lost it'sl ink with the Wards brewery, which was bought and criminally closed down by big business 10 years ago.

The pub was still busy on SUFC matchdays until relatively recently. When they were in the Premiership it was always packed.

The brewery wasn't bought and closed by big business in the slightest at that time! Ward's was bought by Vaux in the early 70s, nearly 30 years before its untimely demise. The pub itself was always something of a hole, but when the brewery was stil about, it had a certain allure.

It never even had all of the beers brewed over the road.

Equally, when we had our one season back in the sun, it was extensively promoted as an 'away' pub.

The Classic Rock bar a few doors up was a much bigger loss. Can't believe that just became some nasty fish and chip shop.

Money talks, so I gathered ....

Always found the Dev Arms a bit rough tbh - too many of the Exeter Drive residents went in there.

Not really. That said, Evie was the best Jolly Buffer/CRB supper of the lot .... in her 80s, and she'd still turn up no matter what band was on for her couple of glasses of sherry and and a half of Guinness!

There's no competition is there? Thanks to successive governments facilitating the grand-scale acquisitions by large property companies in the guise of pubcos.

There's no competition is there? Thanks to successive governments facilitating the grand-scale acquisitions by large property companies in the guise of pubcos.

Unfortunately started with CAMRA's best intentions ....

Unfortunately started with CAMRA's best intentions ....

Are you serious?....Tell me more....