Questions on HTML coding.

Originally posted by kentboy119

I did this in Deamweaver, and am wondering what is wrong with it - if you notice, in FF it is showing all of the coding behind it...

Cheers,

:)

It would be more helpful if you showed us the code...

I suspect you have been typing directly into the design view.

Originally posted by Joelc

Any semi decent code editor will have syntax hi-lighting, for me thats vim :syntax on.

If you can get to the point where you just code HTML, save and open it in a browser and then ajust the code to rectify mistakes, its much easier.

Personally I dont do any form of layouts in HTML, all my pages are XHTML with CSS for the layout, to me it makes sence having it that way.

My one thing thats really hacks me off is people using tables for non-tabular data, the amount of sites still using tables for layouts is stupid.

Joel

Makes a nice change someone doing it properly :D

Being that HTML is a markup language then that's what it's supposed to be used for - it was never supposed to be a formatting tool. With XHTML at least people seem to be getting back to how it's supposed to be :)

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

It would be more helpful if you showed us the code...

I suspect you have been typing directly into the design view.

When I get home I'll do a screenshot of what I did in Dreamweaver - or did you want the exact code that I typed in (that you see in the FF picture)?

Cheers,

Do both, do a screenshot of Dreamweaver and we can rule out typing HTML code into the design view and also post the code. I suspect it's a typing code in the design view issue though. :wink:

Originally posted by Lurch

Do both, do a screenshot of Dreamweaver and we can rule out typing HTML code into the design view and also post the code. I suspect it's a typing code in the design view issue though. :wink:

Here's what I typed:

<html>

<title> Sheffield </title>

<body>

Sheffield is England's fourth largest city, etc, etc.

<p> It has many districts including: <b>Walkley</b>, <b>Nether Edge</b> and <b>Stannington</b></p>

</body>

</html>

Dreamweaver version coming up later on...

Cheers,

When I get home I'll do a screenshot of what I did in Dreamweaver - or did you want the exact code that I typed in (that you see in the FF picture)?

Cheers,

a copy of the html file on a server somewhere so we can 'view source' and see exactly what is being served

and a lurch says - a screenshot of you doing it in dreamweaver.

design view problem, betcha.

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

a copy of the html file on a server somewhere so we can 'view source' and see exactly what is being served

and a lurch says - a screenshot of you doing it in dreamweaver.

design view problem, betcha.

Is the above correct, though?

P.S: Before we leave it until tonight - when I can show you directly from DW, what's the coding for images - the img src=

thing..?

Originally posted by Lurch

http://www.asam92.dsl.pipex.com/sjw/nothing.htm

Code works. :wink:

Moneys on a user error now!

That's very interesting - I am displaying your Pipex page in IE |(college has nothing else), yet my previous showing of that in FF show the coding on the page - hopefully showing Dreamweaver will clear up this interesting problem...

Cheers.

Hi, I am the Adam who studied at SHU with the music avatar (NOT musical) who you mentioned on page 1.

If you need any help I'll try and help when I've got a quiet spell at work. Which to be honest seems to be quite a lot.

Originally posted by adlinds

Hi, I am the Adam who studied at SHU with the music avatar (NOT musical) who you mentioned on page 1.

If you need any help I'll try and help when I've got a quiet spell at work. Which to be honest seems to be quite a lot.

Cheers for the offer... ...WTTN is a better album, IMO!

WTTN is a better album, IMO!

Never in a million years. :)