Sign in to follow this  

Burning in Basra...

Originally posted by Abdul

Interactive Guardian Special Report:

British soldiers storm Iraqi Prison

http://www.guardian.co.uk/flash/0,5860,1574377,00.html

According to the report:

Two British soliders, operating under cover, were detained at an Iraqi police checkpoint. Shots were fired and two Iraqis were injured, one of them possibly fatally.

It doesn't answer why the soliders were undercover in the first place. Perhaps they were trying to recreate the infamous Andy McNab checkpoint shootout from Bravo Two Zero?

Bookwriting is a lot more profitable than getting shot at ;)

abdul,realy, i expected better from you,......ive always thought your posts were level headed, but this one i feel lets you down, you know as well as i that the lads out there are doing their best, they dont go in all gung ho like the yanks and think of themselves as peace keepers,not an invading army,very little is published about our troops compared to others but they are making a differance,and i believe that they are doing a proffessional job while out there, if they were that ****** of then just one of the armoured cars firing over a thousand rounds a minute could have devastated the mob,but they didnt,with true british reserve they went in and got the job done,mission accomplished and pulled out, end ex......the people who know whats what will know what that means............

Originally posted by depoix

abdul,realy, i expected better from you,......ive always thought your posts were level headed, but this one i feel lets you down, you know as well as i that the lads out there are doing their best, they dont go in all gung ho like the yanks and think of themselves as peace keepers,not an invading army,very little is published about our troops compared to others but they are making a differance,and i believe that they are doing a proffessional job while out there, if they were that ****** of then just one of the armoured cars firing over a thousand rounds a minute could have devastated the mob,but they didnt,with true british reserve they went in and got the job done,mission accomplished and pulled out, end ex......the people who know whats what will know what that means............

depoix

I have no wish to upset you, but I'm confused as to how my post has disappointed you so much. I have already mentioned on page 1 of this thread that I understood the reasons why the British soldiers had to be rescued.

I agree that British soldiers have not been as gung-ho as their American counterparts, but it doesn't change my view that British soliders should not be in Iraq anyway.

And we still don't know why two British soldiers were working undercover, and shot an Iraqi policeman at a checkpoint.

It doesn't answer why the soliders were undercover in the first place. it;s called , covert undercover imformation gathering what do you expect them to do walk about with union jack suits on blowin on a trumpet

Originally posted by deadgobby

it;s called , covert undercover imformation gathering what do you expect them to do walk about with union jack suits on blowin on a trumpet

Not very clever of them to get out and start shooting Iraqi policemen then, was it?

It doesn't answer why the soliders were undercover in the first place. it;s called , covert undercover imformation gathering what do you expect them to do walk about with union jack suits on blowin on a trumpet

I know where you are coming from, and of course if they were on a covert operation they yes they needed to 'dress the part', but that doesnt mean that whatever was done was right.

Why do we in this country think that no matter what our soldiers say and do is right and whatever the Iraqis do must be wrong. Our lot can be in the wrong and make mistakes too. Just look at Blair, hes one big mistake.

depoix

I have no wish to upset you, but I'm confused as to how my post has disappointed you so much. I have already mentioned on page 1 of this thread that I understood the reasons why the British soldiers had to be rescued.

I agree that British soldiers have not been as gung-ho as their American counterparts, but it doesn't change my view that British soliders should not be in Iraq anyway.

And we still don't know why two British soldiers were working undercover, and shot an Iraqi policeman at a checkpoint.

its possible that the policeman who was shot was one of the corrupt ones that infiltrated the police force,we dont know,but if a genuine officer had pulled them at the check point and checked their id,s then obviously they would have been allowed to pass through the check point,if on the other hand the officer became agitated and started shouting that the two men were british soldiers,then he has comprimised their position,hence he was shot,to silence him whilst the soldiers prepared to evacuate their position,a real police man would have understood why they were there and allowed them to carry on through the check point,he would not have brought their position in to public knowledge if he was a loyal supporter of the government

its possible that the policeman who was shot was one of the corrupt ones that infiltrated the police force,we dont know,but if a genuine officer had pulled them at the check point and checked their id,s then obviously they would have been allowed to pass through the check point,if on the other hand the officer became agitated and started shouting that the two men were british soldiers,then he has comprimised their position,hence he was shot,to silence him whilst the soldiers prepared to evacuate their position,a real police man would have understood why they were there and allowed them to carry on through the check point,he would not have brought their position in to public knowledge if he was a loyal supporter of the government

Unfortunately, as we aren't aware of the full facts of the case, your opinions are based on assumptions only.

How about if the the British soldiers dressed as Arabs in order to plant a large bomb in a crowded marketplace? The bomb could then be detonated by remote control, killing scores of civilians, and subsequently get blamed on whoever the current favoured enemy is? Again, this opinion is based on assumption only.

if we are delving into the realms of fantasy i will cease to put any more posts on this thread to you,as a british citizen i thought you may have had a little more respect for what the british armed forces are trying to achieve

i honestly believe our troops should not be there, but as im not a politician my opinion counts for nothing but i will say that i believe that the british army are doing the best they can to resolve the situation over there.

as for blowing things up its possible that what was found was standard equipment for an undercover patrol to be carrying,after all its not against the law over there for a man to carry a gun,but there has been no clamp down or weapon siezures instigated by the armed forces, they have let the man in the street carry on as normal when a complete dissarmament could stop a lot of terrorists carrying weapons as an every day occurance and passing check points without hinderance

you can get your black turban on and join them;would you be as indignant if they where **** troops getting burned and stoned??

Oh dear:( . . . It is always best to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot - then to open it and prove it beyond all doubt.

Deadgobby, more like deadthicky. Go get yourself an education - and whilst you're at it - a personality wouldn't go amiss.

You are an absolute disgrace.:gag:

if we are delving into the realms of fantasy i will cease to put any more posts on this thread to you,as a british citizen i thought you may have had a little more respect for what the british armed forces are trying to achieve

i honestly believe our troops should not be there, but as im not a politician my opinion counts for nothing but i will say that i believe that the british army are doing the best they can to resolve the situation over there.

as for blowing things up its possible that what was found was standard equipment for an undercover patrol to be carrying,after all its not against the law over there for a man to carry a gun,but there has been no clamp down or weapon siezures instigated by the armed forces, they have let the man in the street carry on as normal when a complete dissarmament could stop a lot of terrorists carrying weapons as an every day occurance and passing check points without hinderance

OK depoix, point taken.

Although we're probably not going to know the full truth of the story for a while yet, your opinion does sound plausible and I should say that what I wrote above in the previous post isn't my personal opinion, but a 'what if' scenario.

I suppose where we do agree is that things are going to get much worse for everyone involved in the conflict; military and civilian alike.

OK depoix, point taken.

Although we're probably not going to know the full truth of the story for a while yet, your opinion does sound plausible and I should say that what I wrote above in the previous post isn't my personal opinion, but a 'what if' scenario.

I suppose where we do agree is that things are going to get much worse for everyone involved in the conflict; military and civilian alike.

you are right mate, and i salute you for an honest answer,but i can not see this thing bieng over by christmas or even next year, mr.bush does not want to lose face,even at the cost of civilian and military lives,it is going to cost many lives and millions of pounds to satisfy this mans ego

My boyfriend was there from October-April this year, i dont think anyone can say anything about it other than the brave people like my bloke who have been there, lived in the hell!!

The British Army are told if their lives are in danger(or think it is!) they are alowed to shoot, this is obviously what happened here, and when the Soliders climbed out of the warrier and were burning and STILL people through petrol bombs and other things at them, what do you expect them to do?? They have to shoot!!!

For gods sake bring our lads back home and get them out of this hellhole!!!!

Blair is to blame for this!!!!!! he should try living in my blokes shoes for a day (when he was in Iraq) or even send his son's there, im sure then he would bring the troops straight home!!!

Blair!!! :rant: :rant: :rant: