Sheffield - Home of the Great Unwashed?

How often do you have a shower/bath?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you have a shower/bath?

• Every day
    • Every other day
    • Twice a week
    • Once a week
    • Less than once a week

Abdul,

I would have thought that a gentleman of your intellectual prowess would have the sociological insight to realise that the branded clothes sported by the Damians and Donna-Maries of Liverpool are what is known in common parlance as , 'knock off' in the main. There is a roaring trade in such items in Liverpool. Diners in Liverpool's finest restaurant [i think it is called McDonalds] have been known to be asked, mid meal, if they wish to purchase branded shirts etc by interloping street vendors. Clothes maketh the man? Not if the man is a scruffy Herbert with a tide mark they don't.

Best Regards,

Timo [exiled Sheffielder]

Originally posted by Snook

The people in Sheffield do seem to smell more than a lot of places, and seem to have less style when it comes to clothes, and aren't as generally good looking as in other places...I noticed this a long time ago when I started travelling a lot. I hate to admit this because i'm from sheffield. :suspect:

think you must be travelling in the wrong circles m8y.

i genuinely think that the ladies are of the most attractive in the uk, style is a state of mind and its down to interpretation.

as for unwashed keep off public transport & out of the markets.

1 shower, 10hours work & travelling and back on a packed bus, it's no wonder it's fragrant.

how do the posters on here know they don't smell?

Originally posted by Snook

The people in Sheffield do seem to have less style when it comes to clothes

When the only clothes shops you have are TKMaxx, TJ Hughes and Primark what do you expect ?

We caught a bus once in India thinking we would experience a bit of the local 'feel & atmosphere'. I got wedged in the seat and couldn't move when a gentleman, in a bri-nylon shirt circa 1970, stood hanging onto the rail with his armpit right over my nose. The stench of the BO reamined in my nostrils for hours afterwards. Never did go back there.

I shower at least twice a day. I wouldn't dream of leaving the house before I have showered. It irritates me when people smell - how difficult is it to have a shower?

Originally posted by nick2

When the only clothes shops you have are TKMaxx, TJ Hughes and Primark what do you expect ?

I must have missed Limeys, Sa-kis, Harrisons, Brother to Brother when they all closed down then. To say nothing of the better ones in Meadowhall, the one's I can't remember the name of along Devonshire St, and the good stuff you can find rummaging around Zara, Next and yes, even John Lewis. Just wish we had a Bally shoe shop but then it's only an hour on the train to Manchester.

Originally posted by pete_jim

.... and yes, even John Lewis.

Apologies ... digressing slightly....

There's a very nice 100% cashmere jumper for men in John Lewis this year. Go and have a look...

Originally posted by pete_jim

I must have missed Limeys, Sa-kis, Harrisons, Brother to Brother when they all closed down then. To say nothing of the better ones in Meadowhall, the one's I can't remember the name of along Devonshire St, and the good stuff you can find rummaging around Zara, Next and yes, even John Lewis. Just wish we had a Bally shoe shop but then it's only an hour on the train to Manchester.

I shop at all the shops you mentioned (except Harrisons, I'm not old enough yet :) ), but it seems the majority of Sheffielders shop at the ones I mentioned, as was evident in the comments about the new H&M opening in Fargate and bringing "fashion" to the city, whereas my wishes for a branch of Selfridges were dismissed with such as "we don't want the overpriced fancy designer stuff in Sheffield".

Luckyly, as you said, Manchester is only an hour away.

I went to Leeds for the first time ever last week and, sad to say, after all the comments about Look Leeds (aka Look North - see other threads), I was amazed at the number and quality of clothes shops in the beautiful arcades there.

We do seem to be the poor relation when it come to decent clothes shops here.

John Lewis gets worse and worse...

I try to avoid meadowhall and support the City centre

As to public transport...a friend from Australia who now lives here commented that Sheffield buses have the worst passengers in the world for pong and coughing over everyone. I must admit, I thought this was normal until he assured me it wasn't!

I try never to use the buses...(sorry Sheffield Council). Unpleasant experiences every time.

Originally posted by Floe

I went to Leeds for the first time ever last week and, sad to say, after all the comments about Look Leeds (aka Look North - see other threads), I was amazed at the number and quality of clothes shops in the beautiful arcades there.

Yes, Leeds does have better clothes shops than Sheffield, but at least you're not hassled by homeless people every 30 seconds down here ;)

I wonder who the two people are who voted 'less than once a week' :gag:

My friend, Jon Parr, boasts of showering 'at least twice a day'. That is nothing in the 'cleanlines is next to godliness' stakes. I am showered, dryed, powdered, caressed, massaged and 'serviced' on the hour, every hour by my harem of 'missee nicetime' Filipino ladies.