I'm going to try something new every week

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 13:10, Longcol said:

Coco haricot beans have been in season these last few weeks here in France. Simmered in chicken stock with onion, diced carrot and a boquet garni they've been a great side dish for a roast chicken - then adding the rest of the chicken and some greens, and sometimes a few slices of mild chorizo to the remaining beans and stock, a great stew for the next day - preferably served with walnut bread - a speciality round these parts.

Crikey, that sounds delicious. I'm assuming the general quality of chicken in France is far superior than our over eaten battery reared specimens. You can get a medium chicken in supermarkets now for around £3!

I've been having a game feast currently. Head down to Sheffield Moor market and the first stall after the egg guy has all sorts of game birds I've never been able to get hold of. He has grouse which he sells for £2.50 (they were £12.50 at Chatsworth Farm shop) and pheasants, but he also has teal and all sorts of breeds of duck. The teal is absolutely delicious - I don't fart around with boning and taking the breasts off but simply season, roll around in butter and then transfer to the over for around 8 mins and eat like a King. My wife screamed last week as I came to bed after a teal supper and had forgotten to wipe the blood from my chops!

He doesn't have the birds on display you have to ask. I'm not sure if that's to do with it being illegal to sell some game!

I made my own, home-made potted shrimps last night. Not exactly "new" to me, because I have had them before - usually bought from sea-front stalls when I've been on day trips to the seaside. I've always quite enjoyed them, but I must say that my home-made version was even nicer and tastier. It was a bit of a time-consuming faff peeling the small brown shrimps, but after I'd done that, the rest of the process of making them was really easy and quick. I ate them tonight on some thinly sliced, crisp sourdough toast and they were really delicious.

As an added bonus, I used the pile of left-over prawn shells to make some home-made fish stock, which I've strained and frozen for future use. I'm sure that this will come in handy for the next time I make a paella, or a luxury fish pie...or summat similar.