I'm going to try something new every week

Halibut. That's been the "new" thing I've tried in this particular week

If you can find halibut tails they are considerably cheaper. The meat is just as nice and the big, gelatinous bones are really easy to deal with.

Ta for the tip Taxman. I'll definitely keep my eye out for halibut tails in future. I really enjoyed this fish, but the price of it was bit steep for me.

Just out of curiosity, can you give me any tips on good ways to cook halibut? I was trying it for the very first time last week, so I played it safe and simply roasted it in a loose foil parcel in the oven, with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a few torn basil leaves. If you know of any other tasty and interesting ways to cook it, I'd appreciate hearing your ideas.

Ta for the tip Taxman. I'll definitely keep my eye out for halibut tails in future. I really enjoyed this fish, but the price of it was bit steep for me.

Just out of curiosity, can you give me any tips on good ways to cook halibut? I was trying it for the very first time last week, so I played it safe and simply roasted it in a loose foil parcel in the oven, with a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a few torn basil leaves. If you know of any other tasty and interesting ways to cook it, I'd appreciate hearing your ideas.

I like cooking either whole fish or large bits on the bone in a loose foil parcel like you did. A few herbs and a splash of wine to help it along. It's hard to overcook fish when done this way.

Roasting on a bed of potatoes and lemon is also good.

With fillets I usually just pan fry.

Can't remember ever having cooked lambs liver before.

Did it last night using this recipe.

Was OK, nothing to write home about and probably won't bother again.

Cooking woodpigeon for the first time tonight.

Cooking woodpigeon for the first time tonight.

Cooked a north african dish this week. Sammek harrah. So good I made it twice.

whole trout stuffed with lemon, covered with a tahini sauce, 17 cloves of garlic, chilli and toasted ground pine nuts.

you put more whole toasted pine nuts and parsley on top. Serve with chips. Second time i had bulgher wheat and used salmon instead of trout.

Delicious!

Cooked a north african dish this week. Sammek harrah. So good I made it twice.

whole trout stuffed with lemon, covered with a tahini sauce, 17 cloves of garlic, chilli and toasted ground pine nuts.

you put more whole toasted pine nuts and parsley on top. Serve with chips. Second time i had bulgher wheat and used salmon instead of trout.

Delicious!

Sounds gorgeous. I'd have to have it on my own though because my OH is one of those people who won't eat fish with their heads on :rolleyes:

Sounds gorgeous. I'd have to have it on my own though because my OH is one of those people who won't eat fish with their heads on :rolleyes:

Was nice with grilled salmon steak, a bit of lemon zest on top

Slow cooked hoisin pork shoulder, steamed vegetables and stick rice tonight!

I tried a raw oyster for the first time recently - slurped down straight from it's shell! I was visiting Whitstable for the first time in my life and as this lovely little Kentish seaside town is world-famous for it's oysters, I felt duty bound to try one! I am not a fan of any kind of raw flesh - be it meat or fish or shellfish - so I sort of guessed that I wouldn't like oysters much before I even tried one....and I didn't like it at all!

There was nothing particularly disgusting about the taste - it was mildly fishy, quite salty and quite piquant from the vinegar, tabasco and white pepper I'd sprinkled on it. What really put me off though, was the texture and the "mouthfeel" of it - it was all cold and snotty and slippery as it slithered down my throat. Yuk!! I don't think I'll be eating an oyster again in the future - but at least I can now say that I've tried one!

I cooked my first ever phall curry this weekend and it went down very well. I'm a confident and (I believe) very competent curry cook and make them regularly when friends come over to eat, but I tend to make them either mild or medium-hot, because that's what I prefer myself, but the mates I had over this weekend like 'em hot and challenged me to make my hottest ever curry for them. I'm always one for a challenge and thought "I'll show em"! - so I found a phall recipe and made it even hotter - with extra chillis, chilli powder, ginger and ground white pepper

They wolfed it down and absolutely loved it - although God only knows how they are not in Intensive Care right now. It was ridiculously hot - just tasting tiny little teaspoonsful of it as I was cooking it had me doubled up in agony and on my knees on the kitchen floor!! Not something I'd ever cook for myself or my more sensible friends, but for these show-off fools who like their curries so hot that you can't even taste the ingredients, I must say it was a great success.

Edited by FIRETHORN1

Lamb breast tonight. Roasted on a hot heat for 20 mins then a low heat for two hours. The bones just lifted off. Quite fatty but full of flavour. Served with couscous, pickled lemons, flatbread and houmous.