I'm going to try something new every week

Bought myself some ox cheek today. Going to marinade it in beer for a couple of days then braise it with veg and the marinade. Looking forward to it.

---------- Post added 15-01-2014 at 21:36 ----------

The cheek was OK, not brilliant. I marinated in beer for a couple of days then slow cooked it for 3 hours. Great but I prefer beef shin.

Bought myself some ox cheek today. Going to marinade it in beer for a couple of days then braise it with veg and the marinade. Looking forward to it.

---------- Post added 15-01-2014 at 21:36 ----------

The cheek was OK, not brilliant. I marinated in beer for a couple of days then slow cooked it for 3 hours. Great but I prefer beef shin.

I'm surprised by that as cheek has got to be one of my all time favourite cuts. I don't marinate it for so long and probably cook it for longer though. In fact I have a fabulous recipe here - http://bit.ly/1epC7pI

Also, I tried beef heart this weekend - http://bit.ly/1epmcHM - and highly recommend you give that a go too!

Just thought I'd say, I have started trying different foods mainly meat on a weekly basis.

Had ostrich steak the week before last, wasn't great to be fair.

Had rabbit stew last week, stewed it for about 5 hours in red wine, veg garlic and herbs, really, really good, wild rabbit not farmed.

Just this minute finished a kangaroo burger, fresh from a butcher, didn't smell too clever while grilling but with some onions tasted pretty good.

Any recommendations would be welcome, different foods around rotherham and sheffield

Just thought I'd say, I have started trying different foods mainly meat on a weekly basis.

Had ostrich steak the week before last, wasn't great to be fair.

Had rabbit stew last week, stewed it for about 5 hours in red wine, veg garlic and herbs, really, really good, wild rabbit not farmed.

Just this minute finished a kangaroo burger, fresh from a butcher, didn't smell too clever while grilling but with some onions tasted pretty good.

Any recommendations would be welcome, different foods around rotherham and sheffield

Rabbit seems to be making a comeback. I've seen it in lots of places recently.

I've made my own pasties the other day. :)

Bought some fridge puff pastry the other day. Then I made my own fillings.

It was a chicken and broccoli with a cream sauce.

I used diced cubed chicken breasts. Then chopped my broccoli. For the sauce, I used some basic flour, added milk, and also grated some irish chedder into it. The taste is okay, but it was not like bechemel sauce that I am used to. It does taste a little bit more floury than I liked it to be. Maybe it was too much flour. I did wanted it to be thicker as it is meant to go into the pasty. It did work in the end. Although if I am to make it again, I won't add that much sauce, or to let the sauce cooled down first before using it. As I think it affected the pastry a little bit. The taste was spot good, but the pastry looked a little bit wonky. :hihi:

You need some butter in that sauce salsafan, add the flour to the melted butter before adding the milk. It'll make a big difference.

You need some butter in that sauce salsafan, add the flour to the melted butter before adding the milk. It'll make a big difference.

Ahh that's it ! I added water to mix it into a paste and then for some reason I added this to the fried chicken pieces which had the milk already, and I thought to myself that something is wrong but I couldn't figure out what it was. I just knew that I shouldn't put in the flour as it is, dried. Thank you. You solved my puzzle. :) Now I remember in my other experiences like lasagne, I cooked the meat pieces separately. Then the melted butter had the flour and cooked as a paste before I then add the milk and kept whisking. So, I guess I should do something similar next time and add the cooked meat in the last stage instead. Thank you, you just saved me some annoying thoughts. LOL.

Got myself some pork belly to have while the OH is out this week.

I've had it before but never cooked it. Got about a kilo for just under £5. Got the butcher to de-bone it and score the fat.

Going to give the first of these recipes a try.

Got myself some pork belly to have while the OH is out this week.

I've had it before but never cooked it. Got about a kilo for just under £5. Got the butcher to de-bone it and score the fat.

Going to give the first of these recipes a try.

Go for it, you'll wonder why you never did before.

Go for it, you'll wonder why you never did before.

Hmmmm. I did it with a couple of side dishes, aubergine and pak choi with Scotch Bonnet and ginger and carrot and mushroom with sesame and ginger.

Firstly it was gorgeous.

Secondly it was cheap.

Thirdly I have three portions of leftovers.

I don't need to budget for food but when something is this cheap, and this plentiful it really is a no brainer.

And I also kept the bones....spare ribs for lunch!!

Cooking Ham Shank tomorrow. Got some from Whirlow Hall Farm at Chris Beeches in Walkley.

Planning on simmering it in cider for a couple of hours then roasting it with a cider glaze. Accompanied by a creme fraiche and cider sauce, mushrooms, greens and new potatoes.

---------- Post added 23-03-2014 at 16:08 ----------

Another first tonight, smoked halibut.

Not strictly new as I've cooked with all the ingredients before but tomorrow I'm doing chicken thighs wrapped in prosciutto (Chris Beech's streaky bacon really) with Hasselback potatoes. Never wrapped my thighs before so that's something new and never done hasselbacks even though they're really just a glorified baked spud.

I tried Kimchi for the first time this week and it was absolutely delicious! . It's a Korean national dish and was made for me by my sister-in-law, who works in a Korean restaurant in Sheffield. It's a sort of hot-sweet-sour vegetable broth, to which you can add anything you want - like cubed tofu, prawns, thinly-sliced and stir-fried strips of chicken/beef/pork/lamb etc. The base of ingredient of it is fermented cabbage, which sounds a bit off-putting I know, but it really was very tasty. Healthy and nutritious too.

I was going to have a go at making it myself, but having just looked up a few recipes online, it seems like it involves one hell of a lot of faffing about - so I think I'll just rely on my lovely sis-in-law to make it for me again in the future!

:)