I'm going to try something new every week

There are persistent reports that carrot tops are poisonous but as far as I can tell (ie, trawling the internet) this is wrong. It would help if you could log in to report you are still alive!

There are persistent reports that carrot tops are poisonous but as far as I can tell (ie, trawling the internet) this is wrong. It would help if you could log in to report you are still alive!

If there isn't a reply within a day or two maybe we should call an ambulance.

Beef & butternut squash curry, Cant stop makin it it's so yummy!:love:

I've has sea bass before, but last week I bought a whole wild one from Simmonites for £10, which I thought was very reasonable. Didn't do anything much to it, but it was a revelation, meaty and delicious, a world apart from the farmed stuff.

Jellyfish - I bought a packet from the Chinese supermarket. It's a ready to eat snack and came with a couple of sachets but I've no idea what was in them. I put the jellyfish in with a noodle soup. It tastes pretty much how you'd expect jellyfish to taste, which is of very little. I think it's a texture thing . . .

I took the opportunity of whole salmon being half price at Morrisons and, finally, got around to making gravadlax. Just used a basic cure mix of salt, sugar and tons of dill. Will see in 2-3 days time how that has gone. Might make it again for Xmas day starter if it works out.

I've has sea bass before, but last week I bought a whole wild one from Simmonites for £10, which I thought was very reasonable. Didn't do anything much to it, but it was a revelation, meaty and delicious, a world apart from the farmed stuff.

Jellyfish - I bought a packet from the Chinese supermarket. It's a ready to eat snack and came with a couple of sachets but I've no idea what was in them. I put the jellyfish in with a noodle soup. It tastes pretty much how you'd expect jellyfish to taste, which is of very little. I think it's a texture thing . . .

I took the opportunity of whole salmon being half price at Morrisons and, finally, got around to making gravadlax. Just used a basic cure mix of salt, sugar and tons of dill. Will see in 2-3 days time how that has gone. Might make it again for Xmas day starter if it works out.

Gravadlax is perfect for Christmas. I bought a side of salmon last year from Simmonites and cured it with beetroot and vodka. Ideal for starters or for when people drop in unexpectedly as part of a quick cold buffet. Lasted about a week and fed loads.

Gravadlax is perfect for Christmas. I bought a side of salmon last year from Simmonites and cured it with beetroot and vodka. Ideal for starters or for when people drop in unexpectedly as part of a quick cold buffet. Lasted about a week and fed loads.

I'm not sure about my gravadlax result. It's nice, but I'm not certain I've used enough cure and I can't get over the feeling I'm eating raw salmon, which I don't mind, but not when it's over a day or two old. I thought I'd used plenty of salt but maybe next time I'll throw over much more.

How long do you cure your gravadlax?

How long do you cure your gravadlax?

Two days usually. I wrap it tightly in cling film, put it in the fridge in a dish and weigh it down with a couple of tins of beans.

This thread seems to have died a bit of a death recently. Have we really all run out of new stuff to try??

I tried blue shark steak for the first time this week. I'd like to be able to say that I caught, cleaned and filleted it myself on a recent shark-fishing holiday in the Caribbean - but I actually bought it from Iceland......of all places! I got a 1kg pack of frozen blue shark steaks for £5. Can't go wrong at that price really, can you?

I was quite impressed. It's a firm, white fish, with a pleasant, mild-ish flavour and a texture that is quite dense - sort of more meaty than fishy.

As this was the first time I've ever cooked shark, I went "simple" and just pan-fried a steak of it with a bit of butter,olive oil, garlic and parsley, then ate it with boiled new potatoes and peas. It holds together quite well when cooking though, so I imagine it would be good to use in more robustly-cooked dishes, like fish stews, chowders, curries etc. I'll definitely buy blue shark steaks again!

This thread seems to have died a bit of a death recently. Have we really all run out of new stuff to try??

Apparently so. I tried bone marrow tonight on toast and it was lovely. Like mucky fat from t'olden days.

I've had rabbit before years ago but I've never cooked it. That changes today. Going to make a wild rabbit, leek and cider pie.

Great find yesterday at Simmonites - Sea Urchins. They were only a pound each, I always assumed they'd be far more expensive. I took a look at youtube to prepare and was just going to cut the top and scoop out the roe, rather than prepare any dish. Oh the horror! When I cut one open it was full of dark black water and the other 2 weren't much better. I always thought the roe was meant to be orange in colour but these were dark grey. I was warned to marinade first as they has been "travelling" but urchins are like oysters; there's nothing in between fresh and 'should be binned'.

Bought some white asparagus from a small stall at the Sheffield Food Festival. I would have liked to have tried their wild asparagus but it had all gone. These were huge specimens and really tasty, but I still think the traditional green stuff has the taste edge.

Halibut. That's been the "new" thing I've tried in this particular week

I've long been intrigued by what this particular fish might taste like and I finally tried it this week. I never see halibut on sale in supermarkets - or in the local cheapo frozen fish shops, so I decided to treat myself to an "on-the-bone" halibut steak from my local, old-fashioned (and now painfully-trendy and equally-painfully expensive) Wet Fishmongers.

On the plus side, I really liked the halibut. A nice, mild, meaty and tasty fish that holds it's shape well when you cook it. On the down side, it's so bloody expensive that I doubt I'll be buying it very often. What are the prices of halibut like in Sheffield? It's £24 a kilo where I live in South East London. The bit of halibut steak I bought on Saturday was just under 250g and cost me over a fiver- which is okay for the odd one-off treat, but not something I'd be able to afford to do... or even want to do... on a regular basis!