Sign in to follow this  

Who is the best current Sheffield sportsperson?

I agree, Steve Peat should have been mentioned - anyone ever been on his downhill training course out at Wharncliffe? It hurts :)

Originally posted by mouse

Downhill mountain biking world champion?? Hate to say it but it is a minority mainly participation sport so the main contenders will come from sports which are simple to understand like football or has good press exposure like Grand Prix racing or cricket. My vice is F1 stockcar racing and hardly any of our drivers are known in their own villages never mind the big city. If Paul Harrison from Rotherham won the "World Final" he'd no doubt get a paragraph in the Star and a page in the Rotherham Record. Its just how it is. Sports editors are not very adventurous and tend to stick with the good old stuff, footy, cricket and at present Justin Wilson. Good luck to Steve Peat anyway.

With something like a million MTBers worldwide its hardly minority..theres a lot more MTBers in Sheffield than F1 stockcar racers I can garauntee you that! And whats so hard to understand about it? You blast down a hill top to bottom against the clock...no offside rule there!

Peaty is the man.

Jamie Stevenson - World Champion Orienteer

Originally posted by mikey

Nobody's mentioned Prince Naseem yet, got to be worth a mention, I know some would say he is past his best, but I think he will return

he wont return he has not been the same since he left brendon ingle he made his money and dissed the sport

Just thought I would bring this back to the top, for those that dont know......

James Toseland won the World Super Bike Championship yesterday, he is a local lad from Kiveton Park

Well done

Link here

Originally posted by JonHarrison

In my view, James Toseland

The Sheffielder riding in World Superbikes got a fantastic 2nd place against top world opposition in the 1st round of the World Championships.

I think that he has done very well with limited resources on the World stage.

Anyone agree or have you got a better example?

i would say sturrack for taking sheffield wednesday on

No one has mention Malcolm Elliott,road cyclist,who finished the tour de france(twice).Won the points compatition in the tour of spain won the milk race,and numerous other top cycling events.

He then retired from the sport,only to make a come back in his early forties "just to see what he could do",and in his second year back,he wins the premier calander,beating all and sundry,and top riders half his age.

But then again,as a cyclist we dont get any coverage in the papers,even the local one's.

He gets my vote!!!!

cheers

john t

Well done to Malc Elliott on winning the tour of majorca,well supported by a team from Sheffield(rutland cc)

john t