Cyclists - don't tar us all with the same brush!

That's my video actually. So I can answer your questions.

No, I wasn't too close to the car earlier, it was the first time I'd seen that car, and I don't abuse anyone whilst cycling to work.

So, now you all know. That driver is just incompetent and dangerous. Not even malicious. Just a poor driver, putting other people in danger.

As you say, they're responsible for their behaviour, which in that instance was caught on film. They overtook within touching distance, probably no more than a foot away from me.

And in this video

A micra is about to turn across traffic, straight into me.

I'm happy to get along with motorists (I am a motorist, more often than a cyclist), but I'm not happy to be injured or killed by one that can't drive safely.

Yes, I had another look, and although the 54 reg car was close, the other cars that passed you were also close too. I expect its the road type, time of day sort of thing. You were on one side of the tram track, and he was on the other. About the width of an average cycle lane really. There was a bus coming the other way at that very moment. It looked to me like a typical urban scenario. And the Micra driver? What happened there? We couldn't tell if was just following you through, as I assume you were indicating to go left?

You might think these were worthy of uploading, but I just think they cause animosity towards cyclists, especially when the alleged scenario wernt that horrific in the first place. There are plenty of videos where cyclists are genuinely injured by horrific driving, and that is where you head cams come into their own for evidence, but uploading might-haves or alleged near misses without the full facts is just a bit girly.

There's a video on YouTube at the moment which shows that head cams are a good idea when there is a genuine misdemeanor being committed. Here it is....

These videos have full content and show the entire event.

Worth publishing.

Unlike some.

... Advanced driving courses teach us to indicate when it's beneficial to someone and basic cycling courses would teach you that keeping control is more important than indicating.

:hihi:

Oh dear... maybe that's half the problem then? :suspect:

Is it too much to expect a cyclist to be able to do both at the same time? :roll:

That one was the closest by a good margin. Some of the others were a bit uncomfortable, but that one was downright dangerous.

The Micra driver was an old lady. She apparently didn't see me. She slammed on the brakes when I shouted "Oiii" very loudly.

I hadn't indicated.

They were worth uploading. That kind of overtake is extremely dangerous, if I wobble, or go around a pothole then that 54 plate car would clip me. If it's backdraft causes me to wobble then the next car might hit me.

The highway code is very clear about how to overtake cycles, and that is not it.

There are no "full facts", there is what happened on the video. Without being there, it doesn't get any more "full" than that.

Before I got the cameras I had a worse one, which was a driver overtaking and then turning left, I had to go left with them or go under the car. That's when I ordered the cameras, as I would have reported them to the police if I'd had evidence that time.

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 10:03 ----------

Oh dear... maybe that's half the problem then? :suspect:

Is it too much to expect a cyclist to be able to do both at the same time? :roll:

Are you trying to demonstrate a high level of ignorance?

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 10:05 ----------

I also dislike cyclists who jump lights, it gives ammunition to poor drivers to try to justify their own behaviour.

I used to see a couple of cyclists on my commute who'd do it regularly, but unfortunately not whilst I had the camera on.

Really, solution? That right turn across the cyclist is one if the most common sticky situations I encounter, although more often it's when a car which has just overtaken me forgets I'm there and decides to give way to the right-turner, with the added bonus that they block their view of me. It's completely reasonable to call it out for what it is, and hopefully people will learn from it.

Likewise the close overtake. You're right that the others were nearly as close, but that doesn't make it OK. The "typical cycle lane" is too narrow, and there are people (like you it would seem, solution) who seem to feel if there's a couple of feet's space for the cyclist, then it's OK.

And yes, I would agree with the sentiments of the uploader of your video too.

Are you trying to demonstrate a high level of ignorance?

:huh:

I don't think so...

... I'd be happy to settle for a civil reply though! :roll:

What are you expecting?

Yes, it IS too much to expect, in some circumstances.

I wouldn't turn right without indicating obviously (unless there were no traffic or pedestrians around), but turning left, from the left hand side of the lane, with no traffic waiting at the junction and no traffic behind me is entirely reasonable.

I'd do the same thing in the car.

There was no reason to indicate at that junction, and maintaining good control on the poor road surface is more important than a redundant indication.

What are you expecting?

Yes, it IS too much to expect, in some circumstances.

I wouldn't turn right without indicating obviously (unless there were no traffic or pedestrians around), but turning left, from the left hand side of the lane, with no traffic waiting at the junction and no traffic behind me is entirely reasonable.

I'd do the same thing in the car.

There was no reason to indicate at that junction, and maintaining good control on the poor road surface is more important than a redundant indication.

What if you're turning left without indicating, and a pedestrian is waiting to cross the road you turn into?

If they think you're going straight on they could walk out in front of you? :(

Edited by TimmyR

What if you're turning left without indicating, and a pedestrian is waiting to cross the road you turn into?

If they think you're going straight on they could walk out in front of you? :(

If there is a pedestrian at the junction I'll indicate if possible. If I can't (due to requiring brakes for example) then I'll slow down as appropriate, and if the pedestrian sets off, then I'll be slow enough to simply cycle around them.

You can see in that video that there are no pedestrians... So you're complaining about me not indicating when there was no reason for me to indicate.

It's not particularly difficult to figure out. Have you ever actually been on a bike?

...Have you ever actually been on a bike?

Not for a good few years...

... it's far too dangerous! ;)

The "No Cycling" signs are indeed still there.

There are also signs near the Cafe asking cycists to dismount.

So that should clear up any confusion:)

I occasionally cycle from the station to Oakbrook Road and obviously Endcliffe Park is a potential off-road route but like others I'm unsure as to its status for cycling. If you enter through the gates at the Hunter's Bar roundabout there are no signs either way AFAIA. When you approach the playground/cafe area there are no cycling signs specifically for that area (which potentially implies that it's OK in other areas). When you get past the cafe, the paths are very narrow (past the ponds especially) so I took the left hand path which brings you back up onto Rustlings Road.

Really, solution? That right turn across the cyclist is one if the most common sticky situations I encounter, although more often it's when a car which has just overtaken me forgets I'm there and decides to give way to the right-turner, with the added bonus that they block their view of me. It's completely reasonable to call it out for what it is, and hopefully people will learn from it.

Likewise the close overtake. You're right that the others were nearly as close, but that doesn't make it OK. The "typical cycle lane" is too narrow, and there are people (like you it would seem, solution) who seem to feel if there's a couple of feet's space for the cyclist, then it's OK.

And yes, I would agree with the sentiments of the uploader of your video too.

And there is the problem. Your immediate assumption that I am "one of those" drivers. That's not what cycling is about, is it? I use that road with my grandson on our bikes every sunday. It's not the best road to cycle on, but its achievable. Yes, cars come close but its an urban area, so is to be expected. You could say that if cars make you that uncomfortable, then you should probably take the tram.;)

---------- Post added 08-02-2016 at 10:53 ----------

If there is a pedestrian at the junction I'll indicate if possible. If I can't (due to requiring brakes for example) then I'll slow down as appropriate, and if the pedestrian sets off, then I'll be slow enough to simply cycle around them.

You can see in that video that there are no pedestrians... So you're complaining about me not indicating when there was no reason for me to indicate.

It's not particularly difficult to figure out. Have you ever actually been on a bike?

You really must indicate at all times cyclone. It gives an indication to other road users what you are planning to do.;)