Cyclists - don't tar us all with the same brush!

It is a shame, cycling is a great hobby and general means of travel. Sadly like any activity it's the mindless minimum killing the rep of the responsible masses.

Motorist v Car Drivers hahaha this is such a boring topic. However my take is this...

Motorist don't like cyclist because they're jealous they're keeping fit and wish they could be bothered to cycle instead of drive, and it sometimes takes a while to take over them, and they're annoyed they can't go through the red light too.

Cyclist don't like motorist because they think they're better than them for keeping fit and saving the environment, and as a result expect motorist to worship them and allow them to occasionally flaunt the law in recognition of their achievements

Haha ��

Or, most cyclists have nothing against motorists, and most motorists have nothing against cyclists... But these are the silent majority. You don't go on social media just to say that cyclists/motorists don't really bother you most of the time do you.

Or, most cyclists have nothing against motorists, and most motorists have nothing against cyclists... But these are the silent majority. You don't go on social media just to say that cyclists/motorists don't really bother you most of the time do you.

:hihi:

Cyclists and motorists don't really bother me most of the time! ;)

And while we're at it, neither do...

asylum seekers, people with agendas, people without agendas, those who take themselves too seriously, idiots, armchair scientists, trolls, keyboard warriors, people who should know better, people who know people, people who know people who should know better, chuggers, the council, the politicians, rival footy fans, tree huggers, tree haters, those with no sense of humour... and breathe! :gag:

Why cant we all just get along?

id love to see more provisions for cyclists and a bit more patience from drivers if im honest. I see many drivers driving too fast and aggressively.

and thats what causes dangerous accidents, not cyclists.

---------- Post added 05-02-2016 at 13:09 ----------

Get hit by a car at 30mph or get hit by a bicycle at 30mph?

and most cyclists are motorists and many motorists cycle but there has to be this two tribe mentality.

and most cyclists are motorists and many motorists cycle but there has to be this two tribe mentality.

Indeed. More so from the odd motorist (who generally doesn't cycle) though I feel.

People

That's all they are. Cyclists, drivers, pedestrians, bus wan..er..passengers ;)

Just people trying to get somewhere to get on with life. Not sure why doing so evokes such anger and responses - on both sides so not simply the metal cage argument - that wouldn't be seen in other activities.

But it does. We can all be guilty of letting things wind us up too much but it does seem that roads/traffic, be it motorist v cyclist, cyclist v motorist, motorist v motorist, seem to push people to their limit of "normal" behaviour quicker than most other things.

I mean..okay this is an extreme example (and not as graphic as the title sounds)..but why is someone cutting up or whatever worthy of this type of response?

...I mean..okay this is an extreme example (and not as graphic as the title sounds)..but why is someone cutting up or whatever worthy of this type of response?

:(

Interesting...

... both BMWs with private plates! :roll: (just saying)

It's getting silly regarding drivers and cyclists. Why on earth we can't all share the road and look out for each other is beyond me. I drive as I'm a bit too old to cycle the large distance to my work, but there are loads of riders and motorists on my route, and I've never seen any problems between anyone. Just folk who need to drive and folk who choose to cycle. Job done. What does bug me is the bickering, and now thanks to the advent of dash and head cams, the constant whining and moaning on social media and YouTube.

Here's one for example,

I chose this film because its obviously Sheffield, which judging by reading this forum there is a bit of bad feeling between cyclists and motorists. In my mind, all this does is make motorists dislike cyclists even more, if they think there is a chance they could be uploaded with their car AND registration numbers clearly visible, and also remarked on by the poster about an incident that could have other motives, ie was this rider too close to the car earlier or did this rider abuse this motorist earlier? No one knows except the rider and driver. We are all responsible for our actions, and we must all drive or ride safely, but this ongoing hatred has got to stop, and people should grow up and get along.

Edited by Solution

That's my video actually. So I can answer your questions.

No, I wasn't too close to the car earlier, it was the first time I'd seen that car, and I don't abuse anyone whilst cycling to work.

So, now you all know. That driver is just incompetent and dangerous. Not even malicious. Just a poor driver, putting other people in danger.

As you say, they're responsible for their behaviour, which in that instance was caught on film. They overtook within touching distance, probably no more than a foot away from me.

And in this video

A micra is about to turn across traffic, straight into me.

I'm happy to get along with motorists (I am a motorist, more often than a cyclist), but I'm not happy to be injured or killed by one that can't drive safely.

That's my video actually. So I can answer your questions.

No, I wasn't too close to the car earlier, it was the first time I'd seen that car, and I don't abuse anyone whilst cycling to work.

So, now you all know. That driver is just incompetent and dangerous. Not even malicious. Just a poor driver, putting other people in danger.

As you say, they're responsible for their behaviour, which in that instance was caught on film. They overtook within touching distance, probably no more than a foot away from me.

And in this video

A micra is about to turn across traffic, straight into me.

I'm happy to get along with motorists (I am a motorist, more often than a cyclist), but I'm not happy to be injured or killed by one that can't drive safely.

:confused:

That video doesn't really prove the driver was about to turn into you Mr Cyclone...

... for all we know you could have indicated that you were about to turn left, like you did, and the driver could have just been a bit quick on following you through the junction... :roll:

... and if you didn't indicate left, but then turned left (as we can see from the video evidence) it could be said that you made a manoeuvre without signalling! :suspect:

See how easy it is to use partial facts to support your case? :P

You'll just have to take my word for it. They started to turn, and I shouted, and they slammed on the brakes and stopped. If they had continued then they would have hit me.

You can quite clearly see that they have crossed the white line and ARE turning, as I reach the junction.

Imagine that I had indicated left, how do you think that would have stopped them running into me?

Edit - whilst we're thinking about indicating left, given that no car approaching on the other side was indicating (and that I have priority over oncoming traffic anyway), and that there were no cars behind me, why would I risk the loss of control of the bike by indicating myself? Advanced driving courses teach us to indicate when it's beneficial to someone and basic cycling courses would teach you that keeping control is more important than indicating.

Edited by Cyclone