Cyclists - don't tar us all with the same brush!

I'll stop undertaking legally filtering past stationary traffic when car drivers stop splitting the lane on moving approach to queuing traffic, and attempting to sit alongside in the same lane

Actually, no I won't because one is legal and the other is contrary to the highway code, so I guess you'll just have to carry on spitting your dummy out and complaining about something that is quite lawful.

I will never stop undertaking! I will continue to undertake and laugh in the faces of people who get annoyed by it. Ha bloody ha. I don't have to queue and you do! Yes! And I am superior in every way to you because of it.

I will never stop undertaking! I will continue to undertake and laugh in the faces of people who get annoyed by it. Ha bloody ha. I don't have to queue and you do! Yes! And I am superior in every way to you because of it.

I wouldn't put in quite like that myself, but I think you're right that the people who get annoyed by it are mainly annoyed because they feel that the cyclist is somehow 'pushing in'. Silly really, because the queue they're sitting in would be longer if we took our cars instead....:)

EDIT: I don't know why I posted this. I'm so bored of the cyclists vs drivers thing on here.

Cyclists are allowed to by the highway code (in slow moving traffic of course - but they would to be moving some to undertake in fast moving traffic eh) ... sorry to point that out to you.

Point what out to me?

I don't recall saying that cyclists would be able to undertake fast moving traffic, so if you could just point out where I did...Ta.

I wouldn't put in quite like that myself, but I think you're right that the people who get annoyed by it are mainly annoyed because they feel that the cyclist is somehow 'pushing in'. Silly really, because the queue they're sitting in would be longer if we took our cars instead....:)

EDIT: I don't know why I posted this. I'm so bored of the cyclists vs drivers thing on here.

So am I which is why I've stopped writing rational, well thought out posts.

I saw a cyclist the other day. First he went through a red light at a crossroads. Then he overtook queuing traffic in a filter lane for turning right, he passed them on the right hand side. Isn't this dangerous, you're not supposed to overtake a car which is indicating to turn right, are you?

At 8:00am this morning at the junction between Woodhead Road/Bramall Lane I witnessed a cyclist knocked off his bike by a silver Peugeot crossing from Cherry St. I wasn’t able to leave my contact details at the time but if the cyclist/driver would like to contact me by PM then feel free.

I wonder if it was the same silver Peugeot which nearly knocked me off my bike and nearly hit an oncoming yesterday by overtaking me on a blind bend here whilst I was indicating right.

Point what out to me?

I don't recall saying that cyclists would be able to undertake fast moving traffic, so if you could just point out where I did...Ta.

Yeh ... you are right .... I replied to the wrong post ... should have been the one you replied to ..... :)

That's all very well, but why does that make you superior to me? In fact what was the point of your quoting me instead of someone who has actually expressed any annoyance at filtering?

I saw a cyclist the other day. First he went through a red light at a crossroads. Then he overtook queuing traffic in a filter lane for turning right, he passed them on the right hand side. Isn't this dangerous, you're not supposed to overtake a car which is indicating to turn right, are you?

Thanks for your observation, irrelevant as it is to a thread about classifying road users into a group because of individuals.

I saw a car driver the other day. Fistly the car had no lights on at night, secondly it was stood facing the wrong way on a one way street.

Does that meant that all car drivers do it?

But if we are going into the subject of overtaking vehicles indicating to turn right, it's quite common to be indicating to turn right on a cycle and have cars refuse to acknowledge that and continue to barrel past in the SAME lane

Edited by Squiggs

The official line from SCC is that cycling in any park in Sheffield is against a local bylaw

However the council have always told cyclesheffield that they would not prosecute anyone riding sensibly through a park. The council themselves hold cycling events in the parks of Sheffield so they are infringing their own bylaw

You might ask if they are happy for cyclists to use the parks then why don’t they just remove the bylaw but this would cost a significant amount of cash, and I assume gives them a legal position if a collisions occurs.

The situation in Meersbrook Park is confused even more as this was to be an official bike route linking Norton to the City centre, and is now marked on cycle maps as such, but the legal status was never changed.

Bingham Park is an official cycle route and has legal status (part of the Peak District anniversary route), and the TPT route through Concord Park is a legal bike route.

Ride safely and take care near walkers and you should be ok.

Edited by WalkleyIan

Right..

Today's commute home (and if anyone wants to dispute this it's all on video except the ner-miss of the cyclist behind as I don't have a rear-facing camera)

1 x car going straight through red (over 30 seconds after the lights changed) on Penistone Road across Rutland Road

1 x Car at Shalesmoor with no lights switched on

1 x Car turning right from the bottom of London Road, through the bus gate and onto St Mary's gate. Taxis held up behind blasting horns so he spots a gap just after I'd passed and roars through with tyres squealing, god knows how the cyclist (well illuminated) behind me managed to avoid being roadkill, and lucky no-one was crossing on St Mary's gate on the green man

2 x Cars parked outside a takeaway breaking 3 rules in 1 - (1) obstructing the pavement (2) on pedestrian crossing approach zig-zags (3) opposite a junction

1 x Car pulling straight out in front of me from Wolesley Road despite my having more than adequate front lighting and introducing a slight weave into my path on the junction approach as a recommended technique to reduce the risk of such pull-outs due to the "looming" phenomenon

Of course the real menace on the road was the cyclist wearing hi-vis who as I passed I let him know that the batteries in his rear light were just about gone. Bloody hooligan - something wants doing about these cyclists before they kill someone, thinking that they are above the rules :roll:

Didn't see this on my bike (in the car, at the traffic lights) at the bottom of Walkley Lane, where it's changed to Ripley Street. Lights go green, mini in front is a little slow setting off. When she does, an old Peugeot comes through the red light on Langsett Road and drives all the way through the junction at about 10 mph. Very odd. I've had lent on the horn, but the mini just saw the Peugeot in time and stopped (how she didn't notice it earlier I don't know, as I'd already seen it and said 'stop, look at that' - since I was in the passenger seat).