Cyclists - don't tar us all with the same brush!

Yes, I used to live at the top of Meersbrook Park, and to get home I would cycle up Derbyshire Lane, or if feeling un-energetic, would cycle up the lesser slope of Brook Road then push through the ginnel and up to Cliffefield

I know it is steep up that way, especially if you need to get further up towards the allotments so I can understand cycling UP the hill however you made it quite clear that you were talking about downhill, there is no real reason to cut through the footpaths in the park, there are plenty of roads in the area to use and leave the pedestrians, dog-walkers and playing children their sanctuary away from traffic

"Everyone Else is Doing it so Why Can't We?" is a Cranberries album, not a motto

I was stating the amount of cyclists I see in response to your comment of people not expecting to see cyclists not because I am using it as an excuse to cycle through there myself

There is no reason why a safe cyclist cannot use the park, end of.

There is no reason why a safe cyclist cannot use the park.

There is no reason why you cannot use the road, which is where you should be

There is no reason why you cannot use the road, which is where you should be

Why shouldn't he cycle through the park?:huh:

Why shouldn't he cycle through the park?:huh:

he is saying I should stick to the more dangerous roads as people don't "expect" to see a cyclist in the park! :loopy::hihi:

and btw I'm a she not a he :)

and btw I'm a she not a he :)

Ooops. sorry:hihi:

he is saying I should stick to the more dangerous roads as people don't "expect" to see a cyclist in the park! :loopy::hihi:

I am saying that roads are for vehicles (which includes pedal cycles), footpaths are for pedestrians, parks are for pedestrians, playing children and dogs, away from faster moving traffic, where they don't have to constantly stop, look and listen.

And you find that concept loopy?

No wonder some of us who use the roads and cycle sensibly and safely get abused, cut up and, as is the topic, get tarred with your brush.

Your abuser, whilst wrong to stop in traffic to berate someone else, probably classes me the same as you, because we share the same method of transport, and in his own anger-management-required view of things, should his path cross mine, will probably feel justified in cutting me up and bullying me on the road.

Thanks for that, you complain that the roads are dangerous, well, you might just have helped to irritate one more dangerous driver.

http://www.bikeability.org.uk/

They will be able to help if you feel you lack the confidence or skills to ride in traffic.

Edited by Squiggs

I am saying that roads are for vehicles (which includes pedal cycles), footpaths are for pedestrians, parks are for pedestrians, playing children and dogs, away from faster moving traffic, where they don't have to constantly stop, look and listen.

Parks are for everyone! This includes cyclists. You've obviously got to go very carefully and show consideration to other park users, but to say that bikes shouldn't in parks at all is just daft.

Where do these guys do their cycling courses? In the park....

I'll stop generalising when I stop seeing cyclist undertake.

That comment hasn't got the makings of a great argument starting point.

Utterly meaningless.

That comment hasn't got the makings of a great argument starting point.

Utterly meaningless.

Especially when considering:

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

So Captain_Scarlet doesn't want the highway code to be followed...

Especially when considering:

Manoeuvring. You should be aware of what is behind and to the sides before manoeuvring. Look behind you; use mirrors if they are fitted. When in traffic queues look out for pedestrians crossing between vehicles and vehicles emerging from junctions or changing lanes. Position yourself so that drivers in front can see you in their mirrors. Additionally, when filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low.

So Captain_Scarlet doesn't want the highway code to be followed...

So it would seem. But why let the truth get in the way of a good moan eh?! :o

Why?..........

I cycle through the park too. Because I like it. I only do it uphill though, up the steep path above the bowling green, leading up to Bishops House, so I'm not likely to be a danger!

But cyclists are allowed to ride through the park. It's on the Ride Sheffield map as a route. As long as we ride with due C&A there's not a problem.