Door Step Collectors / Charity Mugger Chuggers

Exactly!!!! but if you are a collector/sales person do you actually expect people to be nice to you? :huh:

yes they do lol thats the most suprising thing, the really persistant and annoying ones tend to get the warning of you have a min to leave before i let the dog out (lot scarier when you can see him) never had one that has even attempted to stick around just incase im being serious

Hahaaaa we had em last night in S5, got my dog well trained though. Oooo awww what a luvely dog, very old GSD, by the way could I interest you? Blaaa d blaaaa d blaaaaaa. Was just telling him that he was too late, already donate etc etc. The dog goes out, calmly squats on the garden path and comes in again as if nowts happened. Well, when he finally gott the message and made his way back down the path........ He trod in the biggest and best pile of Dog doo ever!!!! So kin funny. Cleared up the remainder obviously.

Hahaaaa we had em last night in S5, got my dog well trained though. Oooo awww what a luvely dog, very old GSD, by the way could I interest you? Blaaa d blaaaa d blaaaaaa. Was just telling him that he was too late, already donate etc etc. The dog goes out, calmly squats on the garden path and comes in again as if nowts happened. Well, when he finally gott the message and made his way back down the path........ He trod in the biggest and best pile of Dog doo ever!!!! So kin funny. Cleared up the remainder obviously.

I always wondered what type of person trained their dog to use their garden as a toilet;how can you be so proud of your dog and of yourself-gross

I always wondered what type of person trained their dog to use their garden as a toilet;how can you be so proud of your dog and of yourself-gross

And? How can you be so proud of yourself for bieng such an orrifice? My garden is free of afore mentioned cos she poops and I scoop! Just I did'nt get to it before he trod. More than I can say for others round these parts who let dogs do it on the pavement and dont bother! Was that person you bathing our streets in verbal diorreah?

I've revived this thread because I had my first door step chugger of the year this evening at around 6:20pm when all but the natural daylight had disappeared.

I thought there was some rule about chuggers not calling after dark but I was wrong, according to the The Public Fundraising Regulatory Association

(PFRA) their code of best practise says:

'Fundraising may only take place between 9am and 9pm (10am on Sundays and public holidays) unless fundraisers have permission to visit outside these hours'

http://www.pfra.org.uk/professional_standards/best_practice

Anyway, as the evenings get longer and warmer I expect there will be more callers whose opening line is "Good evening sir how are you?", and my reply is

"I'm fine, thank you for enquiring and goodbye."

What do others say to these people when they knock on your door?

What do others say to these people when they knock on your door?

'Do you have an appointment'

'No'

'See the Yellow Sticker when I close the door' (We have one of the don't knock if you don't have an appointment Police stickers.)

*shuts*

75,000 posts!

Those stcikers are a very good idea. Chugging ok doorstepping definitely not. Only time I might think it was tolerable was if it was for a small local cause like the church, old peoples home, school etc.

I'd be really annoyed, even more annoyed of any chugger after 5:30. A chugger knocking on your door at 8:30 would be told to chug off, especially how dark it is at the moment.

Edited by 999tigger

Just had one in s5 just told him to do one he was from scope

Just had one in s5 just told him to do one he was from scope

Was he called Peri??

I hate to admit it.... but a few years back i was one of these people who came a-knocking at your door. Unfortunately upon leaving University a lot of people didn't find me employable due to a lack of work experience so i found myself signing up for a "Marketing Company" where the work was 100% commision based.

The actual "company" was based on Bank Street in town. My manager would give me a map of an area I was to dedicate my day to and I would be expected to complete three laps of the area between 11am-9pm (Following a two hours sales prep meeting). I collected for the RSPCA and was expected to get between 3-6 sign ups a day. For each sign up I would receive £15. My manager would receive £20 for sitting in the warmth and safety of his office.

As a young, female graduate I asked if we could work areas in pairs for safety reasosn. I received a very rude response about it not being "finacially viable".

We were expected to work 12 hour days Mon-Sat. Failure to do so would mean the "company" would remove our fundraising license.

There were some positive points. Some members of the public were very polite and patient when I knocked at their doors. Some genuinely wanted to donate to the RSPCA. Some introduced me to their pets and I would update them on local campaigns. Some even saved me from the rain and offered me a cup of tea.

Obviously some swore at me, slammed the door in my face, insulted me and on more than one occassion assaulted me. Another trapped me in his garden and only back off when I threatened to call the police.

You may ask... why did I go into the houses of people I did not know... it's a good question. But when you're constantly bullied by a manager, brainwashed with unrealistic targets, working on 100% commision in wind, rain and snow and have to do this repeatedly every day to feed and cloth youself... it's strange how quickly you will resort to putting yourself at risk.

If an elderly or vulnerable person answered the door I never used to try for a sale. I used to just offer them some information about the charity and leave it at that. My manager once pulled me up for this and said they were "the easiest customers and I should be targetting them." After that delightful statement I contacted the FIL and RSPCA and got my particular "companies" fundraising contract removed. i beleive they now represent Talk Talk or EE.

So yes I could be a giant pain in the arse. I would disturb your evening if you did not have a yellow sticker in your window. But I was always as polite and respectful as possible.

I do not agree with these so called m"marketing companies" and I've done my best to raise awareness around the Managers who exploit the young unemployed people in Sheffield. But for the most part it's fallen on deaf ears. Day after day these jobs are advertised on The Star website and by recruitment companies such as Reed. You'll have seem the ad... "Looking for waitresses, admin workers, warehouse operatives, pickers, bar staff, graduates... for iopportunities in sales and marketing. Earn £300-£750 a week!"

It makes me sick but it taught me a valueable lesson and made me stand up for what I beleived was right. The RSPCA were appaulled when they learnt how their charity was being represented by "Management".

But please, the people who do go door to door, they are young and desperate to earn a wage. They'll have looked at almost every other opportunity before taking the door-to-door job. They'll have a manager berating them daily, unfair targets, no reliable income and no job satisfaction. Do spare them a thought too.

I hate to admit it.... but a few years back i was one of these people who came a-knocking at your door. Unfortunately upon leaving University a lot of people didn't find me employable due to a lack of work experience so i found myself signing up for a "Marketing Company" where the work was 100% commision based.

The actual "company" was based on Bank Street in town. My manager would give me a map of an area I was to dedicate my day to and I would be expected to complete three laps of the area between 11am-9pm (Following a two hours sales prep meeting). I collected for the RSPCA and was expected to get between 3-6 sign ups a day. For each sign up I would receive £15. My manager would receive £20 for sitting in the warmth and safety of his office.

As a young, female graduate I asked if we could work areas in pairs for safety reasosn. I received a very rude response about it not being "finacially viable".

We were expected to work 12 hour days Mon-Sat. Failure to do so would mean the "company" would remove our fundraising license.

There were some positive points. Some members of the public were very polite and patient when I knocked at their doors. Some genuinely wanted to donate to the RSPCA. Some introduced me to their pets and I would update them on local campaigns. Some even saved me from the rain and offered me a cup of tea.

Obviously some swore at me, slammed the door in my face, insulted me and on more than one occassion assaulted me. Another trapped me in his garden and only back off when I threatened to call the police.

You may ask... why did I go into the houses of people I did not know... it's a good question. But when you're constantly bullied by a manager, brainwashed with unrealistic targets, working on 100% commision in wind, rain and snow and have to do this repeatedly every day to feed and cloth youself... it's strange how quickly you will resort to putting yourself at risk.

If an elderly or vulnerable person answered the door I never used to try for a sale. I used to just offer them some information about the charity and leave it at that. My manager once pulled me up for this and said they were "the easiest customers and I should be targetting them." After that delightful statement I contacted the FIL and RSPCA and got my particular "companies" fundraising contract removed. i beleive they now represent Talk Talk or EE.

So yes I could be a giant pain in the arse. I would disturb your evening if you did not have a yellow sticker in your window. But I was always as polite and respectful as possible.

I do not agree with these so called m"marketing companies" and I've done my best to raise awareness around the Managers who exploit the young unemployed people in Sheffield. But for the most part it's fallen on deaf ears. Day after day these jobs are advertised on The Star website and by recruitment companies such as Reed. You'll have seem the ad... "Looking for waitresses, admin workers, warehouse operatives, pickers, bar staff, graduates... for iopportunities in sales and marketing. Earn £300-£750 a week!"

It makes me sick but it taught me a valueable lesson and made me stand up for what I beleived was right. The RSPCA were appaulled when they learnt how their charity was being represented by "Management".

But please, the people who do go door to door, they are young and desperate to earn a wage. They'll have looked at almost every other opportunity before taking the door-to-door job. They'll have a manager berating them daily, unfair targets, no reliable income and no job satisfaction. Do spare them a thought too.

My daughter did the same, she lasted about four days, hated it, I forget the name of the company, but it was city centre, she responded to a "marketing" advert and of course was told how much money you could make, blah, blah, blah. She was selling Sky TV contracts, she was good at it, but on your feet from 9am to about 10pm in all weathers.

I don't like the way that you have to pretend you are from the actual charity, "hi, I am from the World Wildlife Fund", etc., no you are not, you are from some grotty marketing company who exploit young people.