Real ale pubs in Town

This is the one which used to be the "Cask & Cutler". They have their own brewery out the back. I must say I've never had a bad pint there, but in terms of clientele......you're looking at a charabanc outing from the local geek asylum.

Do you mind, I happen to be a regular in there!

I remember having a particularly good pint of Lichfield Inspired in there back in '94. It was a deep amber ale with a distinctive sweetness on the tongue...it reminded me of the pint of Old Thossacks Weasel I'd had in The Crescent, Salford back in '86...........

.....and so on and so forth :)

Hey, that is bloody brilliant. Is it from Viz? Problem is, these RATs really exist! Don't get me started on the "bottlers" and the bloke with the shopping trolley...

Agree in the main about the staff...however, on a bad day you can feel like you've just wandered into someone's house by mistake and are being humoured till they can get a police car out....

There are in fact a few of those Viz cartoon strips in the corridor wall in the Wellie. It may get a teeny bit nerdy in there but they aren't too serious about it.

And in any case, I do tend to come across more tickers in the Harlequin!

I think the author is a bit of a real ale buff himself - he's obviously seen a lot of the 'characters' on the circuit :)

Do you mind, I happen to be a regular in there!

I remember having a particularly good pint of Lichfield Inspired in there back in '94. It was a deep amber ale with a distinctive sweetness on the tongue...it reminded me of the pint of Old Thossacks Weasel I'd had in The Crescent, Salford back in '86...........

.....and so on and so forth :)

Touche....you can buy me a pint next time I'm in there. I'll be carrying a plastic container of some description lol

My only other impression of the Wellie (as we must now call it) is that there's a lot of bitching about local "competition" - usually the Fat Cat or Kelham Island Tavern (though I don't know how they can think of themselves in the same league as the Kelham).

notice your in s8, have you tried Sheaf at heeley bottom, up the road at the side of the now shut Bridge Inn.

i dont recall seeing anything like a john smiths in there its all real ales!

and same with cider and lager.

notice your in s8, have you tried Sheaf at heeley bottom, up the road at the side of the now shut Bridge Inn.

i dont recall seeing anything like a john smiths in there its all real ales!

and same with cider and lager.

Good pub. Wish I could get there more often.

mg - i wonder if chantrey willdoale after their big refurb!?