DIABETES thread.. do you suffer with it??

Really sorry Guzzi. I can't imagine what you have gone through. I had no idea that people are dying so awfully of Diabetes either. Of course I know about the complications though.

Thanks Plain talker. I will take a look at the GI diet. Can you reverse pre diabetes? It sounds like it might be a good thing.

I managed to lose 2 stone in weight during the last 3 months due to cutting out sugar and and eating a vegetarian diet and also cutting down on saturated fat and exercise, 30 minutes walk each day plus some other stretching exercises for my back.

Hi everyone ..I dont have Diabetes , but i was a single parent with my son Adam who was diagnosed with it in April 86 ( he was 7 years old at the time ) He was described as a 'Brittle Diabetic ' .. his blood tests would vary from 1.5 (very low ) right up to 40 and above on a regular basis .

During the following years , Adam had countless admissions to Hospital ,and when he was at School , they would often ring me to say he'd had a 'Bad Hypo' during a lesson .( I was taught how to administer a Glucagon injection by Hospital Doctors ,so i'd inject him in the Classroom , as the Staff weren't allowed to perform this procedure ) Adam started having Kidney and eyesight problems around 2004 , before he passed away due to Diabetic Complications in June 2008 ( he was just 29 years old ) ...Diabetes can be such a 'cruel' illness ..thanks for taking time to read this ..GUZZI

Hello Guzzi

Im so sorry about your loss, and thinks it's so brave of you to share your experiences with diabetes.

If you ever want to talk about it you only need to mail us anytime.

Once again thank you for sharing your story.

Take care!!

awww guzziowl am so sorry, thats so sad.

I am type 2 and confused with all lot of it, am seeing dietcian next week maybe she can help me

morning

two support groups in sheffield exist for anyone who has Diabetes :

Diabetes UK - monthly meetings, drop in, questions and answer sessions, ideal for newly diagnosed etc -contact details on diabetes uk website

DVIS - Diabetes Voices in Sheffield - volunteer run diabetes action group, contact Sheffield PCT for details (google their details)

also if type 1 ask to do a DAPHNE course

if type 2 , do a DESMOND course

both courses are for pateints to learn to control/live with the their diabetes and covers every aspect of diabetes. ask your GP/nurse/consultant for deatils or contact PALS at RHH/NGH/PCT etc.

remember - you HAVE diabetes, diabetes doesnt have you

you control it, not do you SUFFER from it - think positive and social model of disability.

xgx

morning

two support groups in sheffield exist for anyone who has Diabetes :

Diabetes UK - monthly meetings, drop in, questions and answer sessions, ideal for newly diagnosed etc -contact details on diabetes uk website

DVIS - Diabetes Voices in Sheffield - volunteer run diabetes action group, contact Sheffield PCT for details (google their details)

also if type 1 ask to do a DAPHNE course

if type 2 , do a DESMOND course

both courses are for pateints to learn to control/live with the their diabetes and covers every aspect of diabetes. ask your GP/nurse/consultant for deatils or contact PALS at RHH/NGH/PCT etc.

remember - you HAVE diabetes, diabetes doesnt have you

you control it, not do you SUFFER from it - think positive and social model of disability.

xgx

Hi thanks for yr info, so u have any further information on the desmond course thanks

evening

DESMOND and DAPHNE courses - ask your GP, practice nurse, Consultant at RHH anfd NGH to refer you. If this doesn't work contact PALS at the PCT and they can help put you in touch with right people.

0800 085 7539 Email: pals.manager@sheffieldpct.nhs.uk

NGH diabetes centre - 0114 271 4445 and ask about the DESMOND / DAPHNE Diabetes Group Education Centre /courses

good luck - i think you can do a course on line

try the EXPERT PATIENT PROGRAMME too - run by the PCT, gives anyone with any long term condition skills and help on how to manage - contact 0114 305 1122

xgx

I have recently looked on diabetes uk website and have great recipes for those needing to control sugars and carbs- also are healthy alternitives for those needing to loose weight.

I have printed off 20 different recipes and will pick out 7 recipes each week before asda shop day and will work the shop around these nice meals. Its great that my husband is also willing to give them a try (non- diabetic)

am getting some help at NGH with getting my sugars down too :)

I have recently looked on diabetes uk website and have great recipes for those needing to control sugars and carbs- also are healthy alternitives for those needing to loose weight.

I have printed off 20 different recipes and will pick out 7 recipes each week before asda shop day and will work the shop around these nice meals. Its great that my husband is also willing to give them a try (non- diabetic)

am getting some help at NGH with getting my sugars down too :)

thanks amy i will look at the recipes and see if it gives me some ideas and help, x

Diabetes uk also have a great facebook group, lots of help, advice or just a chat with others x

thanks for that selphie- will look at that x

I'm so glad I've found this thread. I have suffered from Type 1 diabetes for nearly 30 years, since I was a young child. Growing up was super tough, had a lot of my education in hospital as I spent so much time there!

As an adult I still absolutely HATE the illness - I find it so restrictive, not so much with diet and injections but more with the lack of energy I suffer. I survived university and pregnancy and now work full time so I've managed but I still hate this illness every moment of every day and often fell emotionally and mentally drained with it all. I'll certainly be taking a look at the Mindful Help website....sounds like just what I need.

The main thing that frustrates me these days is that everyone and their auntie seems to be an expert on me and my condition and I really wish lay people would keep their opinions to themselves. I also get really annoyed that these people don't know the difference between type 1 and 2!

Sorry to moan but it's nice to have an avenue to vent!