I need some advice on taking a stray young cat in..

Hi, my mum has very kindly taken a stray cat in, shes about 7 months old, she has had a little bit of human contact, shes never been in a house or anything like that.

My mum has been keeping it in one room with a litter tray, food, water and a bed. Shes very scared and timid which is obvious really. My mum doesnt stroke her or anything like she just leaves her to get used to her new environment and just sits and talks to her and gives her little treats from her hands and so far the cat has responded to it all pretty well. Shes been using the litter tray and now started eating properly, my mum has given her a flea tablet in her food has shes not able to handle her just yet.

The cat is not grooming/washing herself is this normal?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

First thing that came to me is, this cat could be pregnant. That'd be the first thing to sort out etc any vet should be able to tell if she is, and around how far along she is. If she isnt, try to get a voucher from the various charitys around to get her done. The last thing this poor cat needs is a litter. Good luck, im sure some of the other experts will be along with more advice for you soon x

Hi there

Sounds like your mum is doing a great job. It might just be worth checking with local animal charities and vets that no-one has lost a similar cat. It could be she went missing as a kitten which is why she seems so timid.

I think the cat will just need time and patience, and just sitting with her and offering treats, as your mum is doing, is an ideal way to start building up trust.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of grooming unless the cat is starting to look matted and dirty. It could be that she only relaxes enough to groom herself when she's alone.

It would definitely be worth taking her for a trip to the vets for a health and pregnancy check, but rushing it and stressing her out could undo all the hard work your mum has done. Introduce the kitten to the carrier over a few days, and help her to associate it with nice things by feeding her treats inside.

Good luck and well done!

When my mum has gone to bed shes leaves the cat in the same room on its own but when my mum gets up in the morning and goes to see her, she has caused a little madness by knocking things over by trying to get on the mantel and window sills. I dont know if shes trying to escape or looking for a safe place.

My mum is worried, shes never done anything like this before but i keep reassuring her that its time and patience and hopefully the cat will come round!

Yeah shes introducing the carrier so hopefully we can get her to the vets soon! In the meantime my mum isnt letting her back out.

cats don't like to be at ground level, they prefer higher places like the windowsill etc, it gives them more confidence if they are above ground.

She's probably looking for somewhere safe when she jumps up... maybe try giving her one of the hideaway type beds or even just a box with a blanket in, ideally high up, somewhere she can feel safe and hidden but can observe what's going on.

Hi

Can I ask where abouts you found the kitten please, because our kitten has gone missing. She's 7months old, grey white and brown. She went out on sunday night and hasn't returned home. We're all so worried.

Thanks

My other half found her near his work in morley, she is black and white.