Coleridge Road School- any memories/ history of?

was a great school. boys and girls were separated with a netball ground inbetween both schools that we weren't supposed to cross. both Mr & Mrs Stribley's offices overlooked this section. There were 2/3 more netball pitches outside. Entering the school was the cloakroom and toilets supervised by head girl and prefects (head girl was chosen by vote, prefects were chosen by teachers). We were not allowed to run anywhere. Girls School had an oblong hall with a full proper stage at the end and classrooms on either side. behind and the stage and to the left was the sewing room with sewing machines and to the right was the art room with easels. we would use these rooms to get changed in when we had plays (usually Shakespeare direct by Mrs Dent) we also had a biology room laid out like a laboratory with bunsen burners (Miss Ellis) and a fully stocked library (which the swimming team, of which I was one, would rest in before going to a competition) Miss Cooper was our PE and Geography teacher. Mrs Stribley had dashund dogs which were walked round the playing fields by any pupil chosen, she used to smoke balkan sobranie cigarettes. opposite the stairs to her office was a large cupboard that housed all the Shakespearan costumes. going through the caretakers entrance (he had a house in the grounds) was the school flat which each 4th year pupil would spend a week in learning how to run a house. The hall floor had a badminton layout on which deportment classes were held walking the lines with books on your head. taught many a girl to walk straight and upright no slouching, myself included. The hall was used for assemblies, gym and plays/concerts. both the Boys and Girls schools had a choir and each Christmas would put on a carol concert. We only used the Boys school once for practice as when the high notes were hit the plaster fell on you. Boys and Girls had separate entrances we were not allowed to mix only on choir days, sports day and heavy snow when it was girls against boys snow fight. The school was fairly strict but fair and minimum use of cane only for very serious matters and only given by headmistress and deputy head. It has always reminded me of a Girls Boarding School you would read about in comics apart from not sleeping over. All of the teachers were women we only ever had a male teacher (who was very much admired) when they were in teacher training or standing in for a teacher. Both I and my sisters went there, as 1st/2nd year it was bottle green pinafore dress and short white socks, 3rd/4th year bottle green skirt white blouse, long white socks. We had 4 houses, Anderson (yellow), Nightingale (red), Curie(green) and Cavell(blue) for which house points were given out and at the end of a year whichever house won had their colour ribbon on the school shield. I am pleased the school is still in use.

I remember most of this and the Teachers. Cookery was in an annex think Mrs. moulson taught it. I was in Nightingale House, think I still have the badge, we took it very seriously:)

I played football for the youth club in 1958 and for a couple of years until

we could not represent them because we were to old. I played with Johnny Leather, at right back George Peacock at center half and Jimmy Hawkesworth.

half back and I worked with Bert Twigg around the time he married Barbra,

My wife was the head girl when she left in 59.

As an apprentice gasfitter from 66-70, the day school element of the training was carried out at Salmon Pastures School and then at Coleridge Road School. This lasted until Shirecliffe college was opened. Think it was probably about 67 or 68, all a rather long time ago.

I played football for the youth club in 1958 and for a couple of years until

we could not represent them because we were to old. I played with Johnny Leather, at right back George Peacock at center half and Jimmy Hawkesworth.

half back and I worked with Bert Twigg around the time he married Barbra,

My wife was the head girl when she left in 59.

It was Barry Twigg who married Barbara. Bert Twigg married Pauline.

Hi Christine I lived in top yard in Freeborough st your next door neighbours would have been the Brownhills.

hy mick 35 iwent to coleridge rd school from 1945 to 1949 . played rugby for school . had a pal called jim bunting .mr thomas headmaster . mr fitzpatrick was my last teacher in the prefabs happy days

I think im a bit late on this site . No replies and i am 84 . Not lived in Sheffield since i was 15 but come saturday still look to see how United have done . Jimmey Hagan was playing when i went to the lane . Happy days