Coleridge Road School- any memories/ history of?

Hi would he possibly have known my Dad?.He was born in 1937 & attended Coleridge School.His name was George Burford and he Lived on Greenland Road at Darnall.

My husband attended Coleridge Boys School from 1946-1952, and played both Cricket and Rugby Touch for the school. He was in the Cup winning side for Rugby Touch in ?1948 ( teacher was Mr. Fitzpatrick) along with Alan Nuttall; Ray Parkinson; Terry Clark; Sid Bond; Dennis Hull and a couple more.He would love to hear of any of his classmates from that era.

did you attend this fine school in the above years, were you in the classes 1b, 2b, 3b. and 4b, when mr g.b.thomas was headmaster few teachers i remember are pop naylor mr derwent. mr lound. I remember walking to little wembly in tinsley park wood passing cutty meadows rolling mills, to play football, walking to malby street showers,also attercliffe baths over coleridge road bridge down old hall road. after reading these threads on this forum we all have a great affection of carbrook, attercliffe and darnall, and the way we were we were brought up. the friendships the heartaches, but most of all our love for the old east end of sheffield with all its muck and grime, but what great values we were taught, sorry for reminising but i still have a passion for the old east end.

did you attend this fine school in the above years, were you in the classes 1b, 2b, 3b. and 4b, when mr g.b.thomas was headmaster few teachers i remember are pop naylor mr derwent. mr lound. I remember walking to little wembly in tinsley park wood passing cutty meadows rolling mills, to play football, walking to malby street showers,also attercliffe baths over coleridge road bridge down old hall road. after reading these threads on this forum we all have a great affection of carbrook, attercliffe and darnall, and the way we were we were brought up. the friendships the heartaches, but most of all our love for the old east end of sheffield with all its muck and grime, but what great values we were taught, sorry for reminising but i still have a passion for the old east end.

Hi Carbrook Lad, I'm a Pitsmoor lad but just incase you may know this guy. Roy Skinner he would have left Coleridge Rd School in 1954, he also lived on Coleridge Road. I worked with him on and off through our apprenticeship at ESC from 1955 to 1961.

hi sparkytom,

yes i remember roy skinner he was in the same class,most of the boys that left school at that time went into apprenticeship at the big steel works,or down the pits.

how long ago did you leave and do miss the old place do you ever visit ,

regard aj

Hi AJ,

We left the sunny shores of UK in 1964 and have never regretted it. Well I tell a lie, obviously we went through the pangs of home sickness and being so far away from family and old friends. We have returned quite a few times for extended holidays and watched the changes to Sheffield, particularly the Attercliffe area. We last visited 12 months ago and we were billeted at Brinsworth. I borrowed a bike and went for a ride along the canal and then down Hawke Street and had look around the steel works that used to be ESC. Would have loved to have had a walk around inside the steel works but I don't think that is done these days. Because some of the works had been split up and opened up I was able to venture all the way to where Roy and I started work as office boys before we were old enoough to start our electrical apprenticeships. Over the next 5 years we worked together quite often in various departments and were in the same class at Rotherham College of Technology.

Although it is sad to see the Sheffield we knew being pulled down I think generally it is for the better, but I also think we did the right thing in moving to Australia, even if only for our kids sake.

GL

hi GL

so glad to here you have settled down now it sounds an ideal life .

did you carry on your trade as a sparkey,most of us in engeerneeing wernt so lucky thanks

to maggie thatcher,it mst have been a sad site to see esc broken down into seperate units.

if you biked from brinsworth you would have had a shock to see the old east end ,i also went to rth tec for city&guilds eng hnc etcleft sheffield in 1982 to get work,my wife and i

live in a market town just out side doncaster,but are in the process of down sizeing and will hope to move to the outskirts of sheffield now we have both now well passed retiement

age we are doing our best to spend the kids inheritance regard aj

i went to coleridge rd left in 1959.i remember thomas headmaster fred knowles.phillips.wild. pop naylor.i lived on janson street below lambpool pub.cheers trev

i went to coleridge rd left in 1959.i remember thomas headmaster fred knowles.phillips.wild. pop naylor.i lived on janson street below lambpool pub.cheers trev

hi trevordnc

what a great reminder of the teachers from this fine school.

spent my time on carltonville rd till 1962/3 what a fine area to grow up in left sheffield in 1982 when i got made redunant live in

a small market town near doncaster but wife and i are looking to move back to wards sheff and spend kids inheratance regard aj

hi carbrooklad

i agree it was good to grow up in carbrook had some great times in rec back of school.remember chipshop on corner of your rd.cant remember name bloke that had it his son took it over.mom used to send us for fish&chips on sat dinn to lants further down but i couldnt be bothered to walk down their so went to carltonville instead.mom was not best pleased as she did not like them from their.9got a scutch om earhole for my trouble.

cheers trev

went to Coleridge road school from 1963 till when it closed in 1965 I was in Fred Knowles class and POP Naylors. Harry Stribley was the headmaster. I played football, Cricket.Swam and ran cross country for them. Top School bar none

went to Coleridge road school from 1963 till when it closed in 1965 I was in Fred Knowles class and POP Naylors. Harry Stribley was the headmaster. I played football, Cricket.Swam and ran cross country for them. Top School bar none

hi sharkw

what a great tribute to this fine school, was a little after my time,

1954 when i left but glad you had chance to enjoy all these activities best regards aj

Can you remember the "Little Wonder " chipshop on Attercliffe Common ?