Scam marriage stopped in City Centre

Someone offered my friends mum £6,000 to let her daughter marry her brother so he could get a british passport.. digrace. Obviously she said no but how many people would actually say yes to this :/

No I do not have a financial interest...although in my line of work I do come across Refugees and immigrants.

I still say people should be free to marry. Lets say you fell in love with a spanish person (they would be an immigrant). Lets say you went to the Registrar to get married and lets say he thought it was a bogus marriage and did not marry you. How would you feel? Not as simple as you thought is it?:hihi::huh:

Any EU passport will do. You're screwed.

No I do not have a financial interest...although in my line of work I do come across Refugees and immigrants.

I still say people should be free to marry. Lets say you fell in love with a spanish person (they would be an immigrant). Lets say you went to the Registrar to get married and lets say he thought it was a bogus marriage and did not marry you. How would you feel? Not as simple as you thought is it?:hihi::huh:

You are free to marry when it's legitimate - the authorities smelt a rat here, is all... Some people still pay to marry in the UK you konw, difficult as it is to believe... Why they do it, God only knows... The UK isn't that great a place to live...

You are free to marry when it's legitimate - the authorities smelt a rat here, is all... Some people still pay to marry in the UK you konw, difficult as it is to believe... Why they do it, God only knows... The UK isn't that great a place to live...
depends if your coming from a country where there is no help in education/medical/benefits etc then the uk is a rosy place to be (apart from the weather) why do you think there is so many trying to get here ?

depends if your coming from a country where there is no help in education/medical/benefits etc then the uk is a rosy place to be (apart from the weather) why do you think there is so many trying to get here ?

Because they believe it's better than it is, and don't find out what it's really like til they get here? Many immigrants come from countries who already have reasonable access to education and medical treatment - I know of one guy who came to the UK from a wealthy African family as his father believed that he would be able to make a better career for himself here - He struggled to keep a job in a factory for the first few years of living here, was turned down as a shelf stacker more than once - basically, with his qualifications and family connections he'd have been far better off at home - he was afraid to go back though without having had some success as he didn't want his father to look a fool in front of those who looked up to him... He now has a half decent job he can 'big up' to his family at home and is preparing to return home to a better job and a improved standard of living...

Because they believe it's better than it is, and don't find out what it's really like til they get here? Many immigrants come from countries who already have reasonable access to education and medical treatment - I know of one guy who came to the UK from a wealthy African family as his father believed that he would be able to make a better career for himself here - He struggled to keep a job in a factory for the first few years of living here, was turned down as a shelf stacker more than once - basically, with his qualifications and family connections he'd have been far better off at home - he was afraid to go back though without having had some success as he didn't want his father to look a fool in front of those who looked up to him... He now has a half decent job he can 'big up' to his family at home and is preparing to return home to a better job and a improved standard of living...
so the guy you know was entitled to come here and work freely without restrictions? he didnt need to get married to an english woman to stay here ? we all know why they are trying to get into this country and doing things illegal just proves how desparate they are to get here . i wonder why

Your all right one way or another. There are people that do come to the uk searching for a better life. That is what people call survival. You guys don't know how pain and suffering they go through to get here.

Please remember the British are in most deprived countries! Do their residents moan that they are their working, taking their jobs etc.

We live in a society where international travel us the norm now. People will move around, form different unions which society is not used to. The government is publicising all arrests made during suspected sham marriages but they do not say how many are actually prosecuted. Today, a person is deemed guilty and has to prove innocence when it should be the other way round.

Changes to the certificate of approval scheme

UKBA, 17 December 2010

On 26 July 2010, the government announced its intention to abolish the 'certificate of approval' scheme. A *Remedial Order under the Human Rights Act 1998 was laid in Parliament to achieve this aim.

At present, any migrant who is already in the UK and is subject to immigration control must apply for a certificate of approval before they can get married or register a civil partnership in this country (unless they are getting married within the Anglican Church).

The government is now seeking to remedy the declaration by the UK courts that the scheme is incompatible with Article 14 of the European Convention on Human Rights (read with Article 12). Additionally, changes made following rulings from the courts have weakened the scheme, and it is no longer an effective method of preventing sham marriage.

The government is already taking swift action to abolish the scheme next year. On 16 December, the European Court of Human Rights issued its judgment in the case of O'Donoghue v UK. This case was about the certificate of approval scheme, and the government is currently considering the judgment. At present, the scheme continues to operate as normal. Any update about this judgment, including possible implications for applicants, will be published on this website.

Do I still need to apply for a certificate of approval if I want to get married or register a civil partnership?

Yes, if you are subject to immigration control. The certificate of approval scheme remains in operation until the Remedial Order comes into force. Applicants will need to follow the current process until further notice.

When will the scheme be abolished?

We expect the scheme to end in spring 2011, subject to parliamentary scrutiny.

We do not know how long it will take for the process of parliamentary scrutiny to be completed. When we know the exact date for the abolition of the scheme, we will announce it on this website.

When the scheme is abolished, will I still need to give notice of my marriage or civil partnership in a designated register office?

Yes. The requirement to give notice in a designated register office is not affected by the proposed abolition of the certificate of approval scheme. The requirement will remain in force when the scheme is abolished.

A Spanish person would be free to marry an English person due to free movement between the EU countries. The Spanish citizen would gain no immigration advantage by marrying an English citizen and therefore there would be no need for a 'bogus' marriage as you put it.

Well, any women out there that want a british passport....£10,000 and im up for it :hihi:

Evidently this scam can't take place hence the arrests were made.

I take it you have a financial interest in this sort of scam?

I fear you may be correct check out other posts by this user.