Scam marriage stopped in City Centre

A suspected scam wedding was stopped today by the authorities in the town centre.

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news/bride_handcuffed_in_sham_wedding_raid

I imagine it would have been quite a sight to see the bride 'dragged' through the city centre.

Edited by fazz2311

Have I understood that right? A Slovak woman can marry an Afghani man and confer UK residency rights on him? When did that happen? At one time that didn't apply even if you were a full born British woman. :confused:

Have I understood that right? A Slovak woman can marry an Afghani man and confer UK residency rights on him? When did that happen? At one time that didn't apply even if you were a full born British woman. :confused:

I wondered that too. I must admit my extent of knowledge in these things tends to come from watching UK Border Force on Living tv or the like.

So my answer would be haven't got clue :confused:

wouldn't it depend if she has leave to remain etc.

This bit stood out for me

"We do not expect vicars or registrars to be experts in immigration law or spotting forged documents - that's our job," said Mr Oppenheim.

"But, if they have any suspicions about whether a relationship is genuine, we would urge them to get in touch with us."

it puts the vicars and registrars in a bit of a moral dilemma? i mean you might not kniow its a fake wedding but have a suspicion, would they want to grass and spoil the couples big day? should they grass?

Hope they put them on the first plane home. If they still fancy tying the knot they could honeymoon in Helmand.

Edited by mj.scuba

It is too little too late. Many thousands of these marriages have already gone ahead.

Hope they put them on the first plane home. If they still fancy tying the not they could honeymoon in Helmand.

They could tie it around their neck instead and throw them from the plane.:D

A suspected scam wedding was stopped today by the authorities in the town centre.

Was that why all the traffic was held up then?

It doesn't automatically happen if you are a UK born person marrying someone from outside the EU - But marrying someone from within the EU could possibly allow you extra time in the UK, as you may recieve right to remain in the EU through the marriage - and you may not too, it's a gamble for people who are trying to marry for real, so fakers really have to pull all the stops out, as it can take years...

Is anyone else annoyed that the media just happened to be there as the wedding was broken up? What a coincidence. :roll:

If the UKBA are stopping fake marriages then good for them, but they shouldn't be tipping the media off in advance for better PR. Concentrate on catching criminals, not building up your public image!