Hillsborough disaster, where were you?

I was at home in Crookesmoor doing the housework. I passed the front room door on my way to the kitchen and heard something on tv about it so I went in to see what it was all about. I went straight to my mums at Hillsborough and shortly afterwards my eldest son came in ashen faced and shaking. He had been coming past the ground and ended up offering first aid where he could. He wanted to go down later with some flowers so I went with him to the gate on Leppings Lane.I remember seeing the damage to the folding gate inside and asking a young wpc who was on duty how they (the police officers) were coping at which she said with tears in her eyes that they were just having to carry on.

I recall that later in the day the local radio stations were asking people, if anyone could put up members of the affected families for the night, did anyone make this kind gesture.?

I was painting my boat by the river Soar, i had the radio on and couldn't quite understand what was happening at first.

I was at Saltergate, Chesterfield watching Chesterfield v Port Vale on a freebie although we called at the Railway Inn at Wincobank on the way there at around 11.30 and that was just beginning to fill up with Liverpool fans at that time.

The first we heard about the disaster was at full time back in the car and listening to Sports Report on Radio 2 i think it was back then.

Working at the Northern general hospital on a shift. Little did I realise what a nightmare that day would become:(

Chilling upstairs at the West End on Glossop Road, that is until I heard an unusual number of ambulances go past. I then switched on the tv to discover what was happening at Hillsborough.

Just come over to england and staying with my mum. Walking up Hillsborough when we noticed the shopkeepers closing their shutters. I thought they are closing early today when the ambulances started to go back and forth. Mum said we'd better turn back. I should have gone to see my Dad that evening on the other side of town, but she said you're not going through town tonight so I caught the circular bus. it was a terrible tragedy, especially for the families concerned.

Drove passed the ground to pick up a programme then carried on to watch my team play at Oldham.As post 81 says its time to move on.

I think we have moved on, but its part of our history, and history is always good to talk about, i resurrected this thread to get peoples memories, and not to get into the blame game again..

I was in the Firth park club when my wife called and said that we had been asked to go to the NGH I was a porter at the time some other off duty staff also went in when we arrived the ambulances had just started to come in we worked until about 7 then we were stood down it was not a nice day and affected a lot of us a friend and me went to Anfield for the memorial and never thought we would get in with the size of the crowd but some Liverpool fans took us to the gates and they let us in after we met some of the family members and they were kindness itself.