Hubble Deep Field: The most important image ever taken

And there are people out there who are convinced the Universe was made in 6,000 years and it was made for the benefit of humans.

There must have been something before what we have now.

And there must have been something before that... Ad infinitum...

And what is this nothing we're expanding in to? Nothing is surely something..!

mmm, I had to watch it again, hence knowing the link. A lot to take in the first time...

Conjures many scary thoughts of Blade Runner and 3 Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, (Both books by P. Dick). Colonising another planet will be an unbelievably daunting task...

Many thanks for the link though...

It does seem a strange concept, very sci-fi, but if we are honest with ourselves we must recognise that if we continue to grow in population unsustainably then colonisation of other planets will be our only hope. Clearly this is not a situation which will be reached anytime soon, but in a couple of hundred years or so, if we carry on like this then colonisation will have to become a necessary in order to survive.

And there are people out there who are convinced the Universe was made in 6,000 years and it was made for the benefit of humans.

Lets not involve the Muslims, this is a nice topic without bringing religion into it. ;)

I may slate the TV license fee at times, but a single program episode like that is worth over 100 billion episodes of 'Strictly Come Dancing', 'Master Chef' and the such like...

Yes! I have always thought this about the BBC. I get fed up paying the licence fee every so often, but before I get too mad about it they come out with another belter like that one you posted a link to. Also thinking Blue Planet, Natures Great Events, Yellowstone (simply the best documentary of recent years IMO,) Wonders of the solar system etc. As long as they keep making great programmes like this, it will keep me paying the licence fee happily

I may slate the TV license fee at times, but a single program episode like that is worth over 100 billion episodes of 'Strictly Come Dancing', 'Master Chef' and the such like...

Hey i've got an idea, at the next budget why don't we cut most science research projects as well as University funding... Brilliant! We'll be there in no time!

At least the government didn't slash the research budget. But it didn't increase it either. Scientific research is one of the things that still makes this Country rock.

It does seem a strange concept, very sci-fi, but if we are honest with ourselves we must recognise that if we continue to grow in population unsustainably then colonisation of other planets will be our only hope. Clearly this is not a situation which will be reached anytime soon, but in a couple of hundred years or so, if we carry on like this then colonisation will have to become a necessary in order to survive.

In the long term, it's our only hope anyway. It is a statistical certainty that, sooner or later, a meteorite strike will wipe out all human life on earth. ("Sooner or later" will probably be several tens of millions of years from now, so don't cash in your life insurances just yet.)

If we look that far ahead, then we either colonise other planets or we cease to exist.

Lets not involve the Muslims, this is a nice topic without bringing religion into it. ;)

Muslims? The 6000 year old universe thing is the belief held by fundamental Christian creationists.

In the long term, it's our only hope anyway. It is a statistical certainty that, sooner or later, a meteorite strike will wipe out all human life on earth. ("Sooner or later" will probably be several tens of millions of years from now, so don't cash in your life insurances just yet.)

If we look that far ahead, then we either colonise other planets or we cease to exist.

I agree with that, but I think our most pressing problem as a species will be overpopulation. Its whether we can advance our technology quickly enough to be able to colonise another world before we ruin our current one and make it uninhabitable which is the tricky question.

Muslims? The 6000 year old universe thing is the belief held by fundamental Christian creationists.

We all know if religion gets mentioned it all boils down to the Muslims fault.

You have to join the dots together which is not too difficult if you know this forum and how it works :hihi:

I was wondering how to set up a new religion the other day, one without a God, but soon realised that religions are really just governments in disguise (and in reality work better than governments, because it becomes 'Raison d'être'). The only problem with all current religions is that their belief based (including Scientology, even though it has a nice name).

Can someone please make a truly scientific belief system based on solid scientific principles. (You know something which you can't defeat with a statement such as, 'well who made God in the first place?')

I agree with that, but I think our most pressing problem as a species will be overpopulation.

Almost certainly you are correct. Overpopulation is likely to cause a major crisis within a century; asteroid impact is not likely to do so within any foreseeable future.