Upload Animated Avatars

anyone know of any easy free ways to put animated avatars as a forum avater

cheers

anyone know of any easy free ways to put animated avatars as a forum avater

cheers

depends on what you want, i use paint shop pro, add, cut re-size etc job done easy...

As long as it's an animated Gif then you should be ok. Most image apps will export a series of images as an animated gif, giving some extra options about timing and overlaying. I personally use GIMP, but I know PootoShop also does it...

hi there

i keeo trying to download animated avatars but it just uploads as a picture, it also does not animate on my computer but does on the site, so something a miss somewhere

Have you tried to open with a web browser locally?

Most graphics apps will load into layers and not animate (because it's open for editing).

it will open and be animated in internet explorer, but not when i upload as a custom avatar

I'm not sure, I just saved madowl's avatar (nasty thing that it is), and uploaded to sheffieldforum and it worked fine. I'd suggest you try the same to check the process. If that one works then it may be the format of your animated gif.

For instance if the website needs to resize it, it may just convert it to a single image, I know the way I wrote my site it works like that (if within size params (and right image type) then leave, else resize and convert to largest allowable still image). Waffle, waffle, waffle...

If so try resizing and saving locally on your PC, otherwise find another image...

? Can you show me where to find it online and i'll give it a try (or convert) for you...

mmm, tried with the default size, but the filesize is too big for this forum, so tried a resized version, however their conversion process made it into a single image.

I've used GIMP to resize it. But because there are 13 frames, numerous colours and not much patterning, I had to take it down to 27 x 27 pixels, and as you can see it's a bit too small...

The process to resize was really easy...

Once GIMP was installed, I opened the original file. It opened with lots of layers, don't be dismayed.

Next I went to 'Image' -> 'Resize Image', in here I entered a new width size and clicked 'Scale'.

To save a copy I clicked 'File' -> 'Save a copy', then entered a file name, then selected the 'Save as animation' option and clicked 'Export', then I just accepted the following default options and clicked 'Save'.

Done... Open in a browser to check.

I will leave that avatar for a cup of coffee or so, before I find one for me...

NB: For those like me who hate annoying animated gifs distracting you whilst reading, just press 'Escape' and they all stop... Yes you have to do this on every page... Otherwise there is some setting somewhere in each browser, but that's another thread topic...

yeah if you resize them they are normally no longer animated, just static images

To save a copy I clicked 'File' -> 'Save a copy', then entered a file name, then selected the 'Save as animation' option and clicked 'Export', then I just accepted the following default options and clicked 'Save'.

I'll be adding PHP GD support for animated gifs to my site tomorrow now...

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imagegif.php#67933