Feathers or not feathers

Hi All

Just a quick question about feathers. I have had some comments that on the competitive nights some of you are really not interested in using feathers (which I can understand)

As the league is plastics it seems strange to practice with them, however I know some of you like them. To get an idea of how many tubes to get how many of you would like using feathers on thursdays?

Cheers

Julian

I have kind of made my feelings known about feathers in the past :) ....but put simply......they are EVIL.

I can appreciate that some people don't like feathers and there is a case for practising with plastics to improve our league performances but I think you are understating the benefits of feathers.

Feathers are not just an 'alternative' to plastics, they are the top rung of the ladder, they are what the pros use and the ability to play well with feathers should be the aim of any amateur player.

I don't completely buy the argument that a plastics team should practice with plastics - this is not like having a football team and coaching them by getting them to play cricket. The game is the same and a feather is a more difficult peice of equipment to control. Master that and when you move back to a plastic - with some adjustments made to account for it being lighter etc - you should find its a doddle.

I for one would be very dissapointed if the grant we were given for this kind of thing was not used and we did not get the chance to play with feathers. If I'm the only one then fair enough, don't get any.

p.s. hitch 1980 - evil?! They do no where near the damage that a football could do struck point blank into your body or face and yet I bet you wouldn't suggest local sunday leagues or 5-a-side knockabouts on the park only use inflatable beach balls from now on, would you?

On Thursday nights I particularly enjoyed the challenge of playing with feathers, and when moving on to play badminton against other 'competitive' players, they indeed insist feathers is the way they play.

I like to think having played with feathers has improved my 'plastics' game.

But then I'm rubbish full stop so what would i know? ;)

Feathers are fun! I'm not a good enough player to quantify the difference, but they have a nice 'feel' and 'sound' to play with - and the sound is particularly rewarding on achieving a good hit with the racket.

Thanks for your comments, as for thursday night feathers will be available (Subject to availability) aswell as plastics, this way we give you the choice!

Hey,

Feathers are great.

Thanks for the choice.

Regards

Arun

Hi guys,

here's my two cent's worth...

I've been to the sfbc sessions many many moons ago...i was playing for local club in sheffield and we were in the plastic league....i've moved ever since and i'm now playing in the leicestershire league but we use feathers instead...i must say i do enjoy playing with feathers...it has a different feel to it and in my opinion, every shot that u make, has to be precise on the sweet spot of the racket to deliver the optimum power or control..there is more give on the plastic shuttle as it deforms upon impact, making it a lot quicker but in terms of hitting the sweet spot of the racket, you don have to and yet u could still deliver power and control

saying all that, playing with feathers and plastics are two totally separate thing all together.....the weight, speed, feel....u can be a brilliant plastic player but when switching over to feathers, u might find that it aint so easy to adjust as u think you would be able to and vice versa......probably dats just me...i've been playing feathers for numerous months now and i've had the odd few occasions where i had to play with plastics, and i just couldn't handle them....i sucked bad.....i wouldn't say i'm an excellent feathers player but the switch just wasn't for me at all.....

it aint bad practising with feathers coz like a lot said, many pros use them and it is something amateurs should aspire to be good at....but do bear in mind dat if u play competitively with plastics, then i reckon u ought to practise more with them and then on a few occasions, practise with feathers just to sorta gradually switch to them and perhaps play competitively with feathers in future =)

have fun u guys and good luck for future league matches!!

cheerios...Aaron C