Where was Swallow Place?

when you think about it there were some queer street names going up swallow st there was newark st frank place there were the little cemetery at top of frank place top of liverpool st there were leigh st which came out on attercliffe common opposit pavilion

Anyone know where Swallow Place was? I am searching my family tree and my grandmother lived there briefly in 1901. The census says that it was in the Attercliffe area. I have searched Google maps but it isn't marked, probably demolished!

Thanks for any help.

It was off Liverpool st, first on the right,my late wife lived at 16 Liverpool St a end house you came out of their yard into Swallow place

Was wondering,

as to how Swallow Street. came by it's name,

perhaps it was to do with Richard Swallow, who took over the Attercliffe Forge in 1775-1776.

link to .. Rotherhamweb.co.uk/genealogy/swallow

Just a thought.

Almost certainly right I would think - his works were later taken over by Naylor and Sanderson.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Naylor_and_Sanderson

Anyone know where Swallow Place was? I am searching my family tree and my grandmother lived there briefly in 1901. The census says that it was in the Attercliffe area. I have searched Google maps but it isn't marked, probably demolished!

Thanks for any help.

Swallow place ran from Liverpool St to Swallow St,my late wife lived on Liverpool St and their yard entrance was in Swallow Place, I have a Street Guide 1967 68,it says Swallow St 169 Newhall Rd Attercliffe,Swallow Place,Swallow St Attercliffe

Thanks to all for your help. I am tracing my ancestors and my mother and father were both born in the Grimesthorpe area (Upwell Street) and my Grandma lived for a time in Swallow Place.

I see that this post has been open and supported for three days short of two years, amazing!

Many thanks, Brian

Swallow St was the second on the right befor the bridge over the Don coming down Newhall St. I cant recall a Swallow place.

no,you are thinking of Liverpool place off Liverpool St. Swallow St was the next one up . and the next one up was Ebury St . then it was Norman St,

One thing about old threads.....harryr was my brother. He passed away in April :sad: