What did I do wrong and how could I improve?

The mistake you made was assuming the posters on here were normal....
A top observation, I know of at least one or two that would find offence at anything about special needs not being in a good light. Quite a few more are just in need, and special does not come into it.

Listen to this.....

Its george carlin at his best and kind of explains a few things....

:hihi: I have severe appearance deficit, but only just found out.

Agreed.

What you should have done was PRAISE sainsbury's inclusive policy in the VERY FIRST sentence.

But you didn't.

And you got massacred for it.

People thought you were criticising the 'Downies' and somebody even dug through your PREVIOUS postings and picked up on an out of context quote to show everyone else what a little Hitler you are.

Sheffielders, eh? Hanging's too good for us :hihi:

P.S. - There's a reason I stay anonymous :)

I posted this thread yesterday and was shocked at the personal venom that other posters vented on me. I'm at a loss to know what I did wrong or what turn of phrase offended people.

Maybe someone could explain?

Here's the thread - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=660729

And here is my initial post -

I was just wondering, does the Sheffield Archer Road Sainsbury have a deal to employ people who are 'special needs'? I noticed that some of the staff there are a bit different.

(Before anyone jumps on me it's my supermarket of choice where I usually shop)

As you can see I had an inkling that someone would jump on me, just because it's SF and there's always someone who will take offence on any sensitive topic, but I wasn't prepared for the intensity of the reaction from so many people.

Is the term special needs considered offensive now? I thought it was the phrase of choice and considered preferable to disabled.

You could say that about any shop really

I posted this thread yesterday and was shocked at the personal venom that other posters vented on me. I'm at a loss to know what I did wrong or what turn of phrase offended people.

Maybe someone could explain?

Here's the thread - http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=660729

And here is my initial post -

I was just wondering, does the Sheffield Archer Road Sainsbury have a deal to employ people who are 'special needs'? I noticed that some of the staff there are a bit different.

(Before anyone jumps on me it's my supermarket of choice where I usually shop)

As you can see I had an inkling that someone would jump on me, just because it's SF and there's always someone who will take offence on any sensitive topic, but I wasn't prepared for the intensity of the reaction from so many people.

Is the term special needs considered offensive now? I thought it was the phrase of choice and considered preferable to disabled.

Listen half the people who use the forum are on here 10 hours a day because they are disabled and don't have jobs.

They look upon their working disabled bredrin with scorn because they don't like the fact they're 'letting the side down' by having a job and proving they can indeed get a job, and go to work, and not claim DLA all their life and complain and think the whole world is against them and their disability, like half the forumers do.

Example - Ticket collecter at VUE cinema in meadowhall, in a wheelchair, got a job, no complaints. If it was the average forumer she'd be on here complaining that she can't get a Lamborghini Murcielago on the mobility scheme and saying how that's a disgrace.

There's your answer buddy.

Oh and in answer to your original question, do..is it a new build? Cause I know with some new builds the council will only grant planning permission on certain conditions, you know do something to help the community or something.

Like a tesco somewhere a few years ago got planning permission because they funded the build of a new library. Maybe..they had some sort of condition to employ a certain number of special needs people.

I don't know, don't know if it's new.

Edited by Forumosaurus

my daughter is just doing a 4 week work experience at the 1 at crystal peaks and she said theres a lad there who has a carer with him so perhaps all the stores are giving equal opportunity a go

Of course a disabled/special needs person could get a job based on merit alone. Stephen Hawking is the shining example of this.

He works for ASDA at Handsworth.

I read your post, and chose not to 'jump on your back', as I felt you were getting enough stick. If you're looking for honest, constructive criticism. The fact that 'special needs' was in inverted commas, and the choice of phrase 'a bit different' really grated with me - as it makes it appear that you are mocking, rather than asking a genuine question.

Perhaps a more sensitive phrasing might have been:

As a regular shopper at Sainsburys, I have noticed some of their employees have learning difficulties which led me to wonder why I've only really noticed this at Sainsburys, Archer Road. Are retailers in general recruiting more people with learning difficulties than they used to, or is this a particular policy to this store?

Learning difficulties means low IQ doesn't it? I think the terms 'special needs' or 'disabled' are more accurate to describe people who need help in their daily lives. You could never say Stephen Hawking had learning difficulties, but to describe him as special needs or disabled would be correct.

So which is the current favoured term? Is it 'disabled' or 'special needs'?

On that we can agree ;)

He works for ASDA at Handsworth.

And does bingo calling on his nights off.

Learning difficulties means low IQ doesn't it?

I don't think so. I have dyslexia which is a learning difficulty and without blowing my own trumpet excessivly hard you couldnt describe my IQ as low by any measure.

On that we can agree ;)

Indeed.. :D