Do you remember the rag man, and other street traders from the 60's and 70'

I remember getting a goldfish from the rag and bone man! Do you remember the chestnut roasters in town?

I remember getting a goldfish from the rag and bone man! Do you remember the chestnut roasters in town?

I remember one near the old rag market possibly near Dixon Lane in the 60's? There is one on Fargate sometimes these days but not the same as the old days somehow? OMG you had a posh rag man there were no goldfish with ours just pegs, cups and saucers and balloons as I remember :hihi:

How about the French Onion men. Anyone remember them?

They all had a little black berrets on and rode bycicles with (hairy) strings of onions draped over the handlebars

Oops on the Sp

I also remember the Knife and Scissor sharpener. He had a little treddle grindstone on the cart. And then there were the Gypsies, they usually traded clothes pegs.

I also remember the Knife and Scissor sharpener. He had a little treddle grindstone on the cart. And then there were the Gypsies, they usually traded clothes pegs.

The gypsies used to come to the door selling lucky charms, clothes pegs or nicking the flowers out of your garden and trying to sell them to you lol:hihi: My mam was scared of the gypsies as they said they would put a curse on you if you didnt buy anything my dad however used to trap the gypsies feet in the door as he slammed it :hihi:

THE RAG MAN I KNEW WAS ARNOLD HALL WHICH COVERED THE MANOR, DARNALL AND WYBOURN ALSO WOODTHORPE. IT WAS GREAT FUN I USE TO GO WITH HIM EVERY SATURDAY. THIS WAS IN THE 1950s AND 1960s

THE RAG MAN I KNEW WAS ARNOLD HALL WHICH COVERED THE MANOR, DARNALL AND WYBOURN ALSO WOODTHORPE. IT WAS GREAT FUN I USE TO GO WITH HIM EVERY SATURDAY. THIS WAS IN THE 1950s AND 1960s

I cant remember his name but it was around 1965/6 on the Wybourn estate?:rolleyes: Now we put ours in the charity bags on the front :hihi:

My Grandad "Curly" Myers used to have a horse and cart and sold vegetables from it round Arbourthorne.

We used to sit on the edge of the curb poking lolly sticks in the warm tar waiting with the empties to take back when the "tizer man" came.

Would tht be the 'Curly Myers' who lived on Walden Road, S2. ?

I lived in Darnall from 1956/7 - 1965, so I probable saw you on the cart! Didn't know the name of the rag'n'bone man. My brother was in the Darnall Medical Aid Skiffle Group, played the tea chest bass and the banjo! What a long time ago!

I'm new to this forum, and new to Sheffield and the UK. But this sounds so interesting. I read almost all the posts, and they made me feel nostalgic thinking about all the gypsies that went around our house in India. They had the most interesting things to sell. salted tamarind, guavas, mirrors, colourful stones. I wish I saw them, its been ages. I guess I last saw them when I was 12-13.

Anyways, is it possible to find the gypsies, or the french onion sellers, or the knife sharpners here now?? Just out of curiosity.

Edited by richabk
spelling mistakes.

There used to be a couple of rag men, Dicky James and old Ruben Shaw who use to drink in the Cutlers Arms on Worksop Rd,some afternoons. They would tie their horses up to the Horsetrough, opposite Brown Bailys then go for a few pints in Cutlers. This was in the late 50 early 60s.